Best way to heat a basement for working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to heat a basement for working

So I'm going to by rebuilding my motorcycle this winter in the basement and I need to know the best way to heat it. Its unfinished brick 43'x20' and 6'10" ceilings. I don't plan on working done there long, maybe 2 hours at a time max . Ideally I'd be able to heat it up fast since I wont be down there daily or longer than 2 hours. A torpedo propane heater sounds great, but I'm worried about fumes. I don't want to leave the door open because I'll typically be working late. There was once a furnace down there and a appears to be a few places to connect a vent. A vented heater would be great, but the ones I see seem to be very expensive with lower btu's. I would eventually like to put the heater in the garage so I'd like it to be relatively portable. I thinking propane. I'm unsure about electric, because I only have one outlet down there and it'll be running my tools. Any suggestions?
    I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
    Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

I was gifted this. Sure glad I have it!

Mr Buddy Big Heater (MBH18)

Uses propane. Standard for use with small propane, camping cans.

With a kit you can run 20# (I am thinking of getting a 50#'ish tank). I visited local membership store and for about $40 I got a properly filled (tank exchanges rip you off, and don't give a full fill) tank of propane. It will last me for a while! Good thing is, in an emergency could heat a room in the house or take with me for camping/tailgating type adventures.

My garage is cold, not insulated but for the two walls it shares with the house, concrete slab. This takes off the chill in freezing temps, makes the space very doable. Redid the brakes a few weeks back, sat it right beside me. May mount it on the wall, as it has provisions for that... but I need to redo my garage layout before I go putting holes in the wall.

Uses D batteries or can take a wall wart to power an on-board fan to help with heating. Excellent piece to have around.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

If it's a big open space, I personally would wall off a "work area" with plywood or something to keep the heat in a small working area, and put a small btu furnace in. Size it for your garage for the future so you can move it there.

Vent it outside, install a filter rack on inlet, and a sheet metal 90* duct on the outlet. Install a switch or tstat and enjoy.

We have one installed like this in our pump repair shop at work and it works a treat.

(I am a gas fitter)
      Originally posted by codyep3
      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
      2010 F650gs twin
      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Bring your motorcycle upstairs to the living room.

You're welcome. B)

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Pellet stoves can be vented straight out a wall.

Also would have the benefit of heating your entire house.

I put a wood stove in my garage since it already had a flue and I love it. Load it with some cheap "fireblox" and I heat the whole garage for $2.50 a night. I just load it up and start the fire when I get home from work, by the time the kids are in bed and I'm released for "Dad" time, it's nice and toasty t-shirt weather in there.

I don't like propane or kerosene heat for closed in spaces, and electric is too expensive.
          No E30 Club
          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Unvented gas heating indoors is asking for trouble. Don't have much to add other than that :P

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Kerosine smells bad, propane is clean.

I guess the real question is wether or not you have a way to vent it.
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                I was gifted this. Sure glad I have it!

Mr Buddy Big Heater (MBH18)
                I considered this but I'm not sure if it'll do my entire basement. I would definitely have to make a smaller work area.

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                If it's a big open space, I personally would wall off a "work area" with plywood or something to keep the heat in a small working area, and put a small btu furnace in. Size it for your garage for the future so you can move it there.
                This a great idea, because you can vent the furnaces, however the garage is 2.5 cars with high ceilings, it stands alone and is wood. I doubt the small furnace will heat it.
                Originally posted by FredK View Post
                Bring your motorcycle upstairs to the living room.
                Lol did I post about this years ago? I actually did this. Unfortunately all the wonderful living room space has been wasted with furniture.

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                I put a wood stove in my garage since it already had a flue and I love it..
                This is interesting. Got to do more research. Would it heat a space my size? How does the venting work?

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                Unvented gas heating indoors is asking for trouble. Don't have much to add other than that :P
                My research is showing that a propane heater at 50k btu or less has equivalent fumes as a stove.
                I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Originally posted by CrusherCurtis View Post
                  Lol did I post about this years ago? I actually did this. Unfortunately all the wonderful living room space has been wasted with furniture.
                  Haha! I know I've seen several motorcycle builds that have happened in people's kitchens and living rooms. I probably saw one on r3v, too, maybe it was yours!

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Look at garagejournal.com

They have a forum dedicated to this kind of talk.

Seems you are looking to temporarily heat a very considerable space.

Keep a CO monitor in the area. Is this older construction? Drafty?
                    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I considered this but I'm not sure if it'll do my entire basement. I would definitely have to make a smaller work area.

This a great idea, because you can vent the furnaces, however the garage is 2.5 cars with high ceilings, it stands alone and is wood. I doubt the small furnace will heat it.

This is interesting. Got to do more research. Would it heat a space my size? How does the venting work?

My research is showing that a propane heater at 50k btu or less has equivalent fumes as a stove.
                      It will be fine. Size it for your garage. My house is just under 3000sq ft. And I have a single 60,000 but furnace that heats the entire thing.
                      Even with your cold winters, if you insulate the garage you would probably need the smallest available. 40,000 btu
                      Originally posted by codyep3
                      I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                      2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                      1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                      1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                      2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                      2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                      2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                      2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                      2010 F650gs twin
                      2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Tea lights and scented candle work well for some.
                        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Just have those strippers in your sig pic dance their asses off while you work. Sure, it'll smell like stale smoke, baby powder, and broken dreams, but totally worth it. Apologies if that's your GF or sister.
                          sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Flower Pots & Tea Lights Heater: I found this in a review and had to try it out. A room heater made from a small roasting tray and its trivit two clay flower Pots 4 tea lights and a scrap of aluminium foil
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

You should do some more research, then

The difference is you use a stove for 20 mins and a heater in a garage for multiple hours. Unvented gas heaters run on a mix of gas and oxygen sourced from ambient air, which in effect converts oxygen in the room into CO, resulting in a halving of all breathable air around you. It's some serious shit.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
                              X