Trunk Shock VS. Mtech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk Shock VS. Mtech

I finally got the trunklid and mtech I spoiler all figure out and matching very well but I am having a problem and it really is starting to upset me, to put it lightly.

Verts have trunk shocks, I can't remember if the coupes have them or not, and with the extra weight of a mtech I spoiler it doesn't stand a chance to keep the trunklid up.

So can I solve this with a new shock? Is there a beefier shock that will fit without mods?

Thanks

my coupe doesn't have trunk shocks, just spring rods

Comment

Originally posted by FoxXx325echo View Post
      my coupe doesn't have trunk shocks, just spring rods
      +1. Maybe your shocks are shot?
      :: PNW Crew ::
      '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

I thought that the shock was shot but it holds the trunklid up fine without the mtech on. If I put the IS spoiler on there is no problem either. I am just thinking that I might just need a new shock but was hoping there might be a "beefier" one out there.

Comment

I just wanna know what E30 has a trunk shock!

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

verts are the only ones I believe

When you have a trunk shock, you know that it is going to be a piece of shit ;)

Comment

what shock setup do you have, i have a spare one that i dont plan on needing any time soon
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
              Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Verts are the only ones with trunk shocks.. I had to replace my shock as it would not hold up the trunk up w/o the spoiler. Now with the new shock and M-TECH1 spoiler installed it holds up just fine. You probably need to replace it, don't know if their is a such thing as a "beefier" one.
                "Driving anything else would be uncivilised"

Comment

i know before i replaced mine it wouldnt hold the trunk up, now it opens the trunk, i only have an is spoiler though
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Would one of you cabby dudes post a pic of this trunk shock? I wanna lose the trunk springs in my car and a hydraulic setup would save me a ton of hassle.

Eventually, I am going to motorize my trunk lid...in my spare time.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                      i know before i replaced mine it wouldnt hold the trunk up, now it opens the trunk, i only have an is spoiler though
                      How much did you pay for it? RealOEM has it listed at 63.00...I dont' know if I really want to pay that. I am going to contact Patrick to see what he can get it for.

Luke, I'll try to take a pic of it today and get it up tonight

Comment

I had a similiar situation with the E46. I have the E30 coupe and there is no shock. Is it possible on the vert to adjust the spring tension near the trunk arms and springs? Items 7 & 8?
                        Last edited by FL318is; 10-17-2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          Would one of you cabby dudes post a pic of this trunk shock? I wanna lose the trunk springs in my car and a hydraulic setup would save me a ton of hassle.

Eventually, I am going to motorize my trunk lid...in my spare time.

Luke
                          There are stiffer ones, but dont buy them. Just one of them was strong enough to lift my trunk with M-Tech 1 spoiler, E34 trunk tool kit and no shock on the other side. When you closed the trunk it pushed up on the side and wouldn't align properly. It looked like this, and it leaked water too...

You can kinda see the shocks in this horrible shot of my car...
                          '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
                          '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
                          '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
                          iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
                          sigpic

Comment

torsion bar

I thought the E30 has torsion bars? (like 8, 9 in the parts diagram)

I think there are two cut outs on each side to lock them down.

One locking point has more spring tension than the other.

I'm pulling this out of my ass so I could be wrong.

Comment

i have the single shock setup, but i think they use the same shocks, im not sure what i paid for it i bought it years ago

Comment

Working...
                              X