Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical problems, entirely my fault!

I've done something really stupid!

What sort of tests can I run to figure out if I fried the computer?

I have a rev counter that doesn't work, so I tried to wire it to the coil to see if it would start working.

I used that 3 pin connector that sits near the computer for the tach lead. The car wouldn't start with this connector unplugged, so now here's where I wasn't thinking... I wired the lead from the negative side of the coil into the the lead for the tach while the 3 pin connector was still plugged in, and the engine stalled.

Needless to say, the car doesn't start or run anymore, and I don't think I blew a fuse since there were none burnt. If there is a chance that I blew a fuse, which one would it be?

Anyone have any thoughts?

The car is an '87 325e
    Last edited by 337; 06-07-2007, 05:45 PM.

What year / model is your car?

Comment

It's an '87 325e

Comment

What sort of tests can I run to figure out if it's the computer that I fried?

Comment

You may have fried the DME or the coil. In search of a fix I'd say to undo your kludge (that wouldn't have worked anyway), ensure power is being applied to the DME, and replace the coil. If you still don't have spark when the engine cranks replace the DME.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

When I connect the positive multimeter lead to the coil and then the groundthe negative lead to the car, I have power at the coil.

How can I check to see if there is power to the DME?

Another stupid question, I have a #173 computer from my old 325i lying around, I assume this wouldn't work for the 325e?

Comment

Working...
            X