Issues after Timing belt change ETA 2.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues after Timing belt change ETA 2.7

My car will barely run at this point. I had my timing belt, water pump and thermostat replaced. It will start when cold, but runs very rich and has no power when you step on the accelerator. Black smoke will come from the exhaust. Once warm the car will die and not restart. It ran perfect before this work was performed. The guy who did the work checked all the timing components and everything is set properly. The car is an early 1987 325e 2.7 has 108K on it. Was also recently tuned with new Cap, rotor, plugs etc.
    The idle is smooth with no variance.

What could cause this? I appreciate any feedback
    Thanks!

Originally posted by Meyerse30 View Post
    My car will barely run at this point. I had my timing belt, water pump and thermostat replaced. It will start when cold, but runs very rich and has no power when you step on the accelerator. Black smoke will come from the exhaust. Once warm the car will die and not restart. It ran perfect before this work was performed. The guy who did the work checked all the timing components and everything is set properly. The car is an early 1987 325e 2.7 has 108K on it. Was also recently tuned with new Cap, rotor, plugs etc.
    The idle is smooth with no variance.

What could cause this? I appreciate any feedback
    Thanks!
    Apparently not...you need to check the timing again.

Comment

I agree sounds like the timing may be off. Any chance he had a re-start issue after the work? Maybe things were not correct the first time he fired the motor after the work was done.

Comment

i know you're hurtin over your ride right now BUT, you just can't give these cars to any old mechanic to work on. they WILL screw it up. a timing belt job isn't that hard with the amount of diy references out there. if it's off by 2 teeth it'll run like shit. a reputable shop couldn't even put mine up on a lift w/o putting the lift through the fuel tank.
        sigpic

Comment

I understand, but this guy who did the work happens to be a long time forum member. He owns 4 e30's and has performed this type of work before. He is stumped. I can understand the lose of power, but why would it run so rich and have black smoke out of the exhaust?

Comment

check if the plug wires are crossed?
            sigpic

Comment

Well, problem solved. He had the coolant temperature switch connections reversed. Runs like a top! My weekend is getting better.
              Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
              X