Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G260 sometimes pops out of reverse. What gives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G260 sometimes pops out of reverse. What gives?

Hey all,

When I completed my manual swap a few months ago, I used all new parts except for the transmission. On this 0articular G260, gears 1-5 work perfectly. However, about half the time I try to shift into reverse, it will pop out of gear when I apply any torque at all.

I've found it helps to put my car in reverse, shift out and shove it back in. Otherwise, it may pop out until it's happy.

What do you all think is happening? Am I missing the gate? Is the fork messed up? Did I install some bushings incorrectly? Any advice is welcome before I drop money on a new trans.

Thanks!
    1991 325i 4 dr Euro Spec, 5 Speed, 4.10 LSD, Slicktop

A worn reverse shifter fork inside the transmission is a likely cause
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I had a VW that would do that too. If memory serves, it was a similar issue.
      Estoguy
      1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Perhaps practice makes perfect, but I think I've perfected a technique of getting it into reverse every time. I think the DSSR I have installed is causing some issues with the gate or throw.

Comment

I was assuming you used new OE/OEM parts, but it appears that is not the case. So I'll add the shift linkage to the list of suspects.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Just an update on this, after changing from gear oil to ATF, this problem is completely solved. There is still a bit of a learning curve to get the gate perfect with the DSSR and Z3 lever, but otherwise no issues anymore.

Comment

Working...
            X