Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scum class 318 + Mtech + vortech v2 + unicorns - vortech + Turrrrbo

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Tell me about this aluminum block you're searching for ? :)

Contemplating ripping out the s52 because of the damage and shwapping in an m52 aluminum block with the s52 cams..

I found one in the junkyard but it was trashed
    Kind of a shot in the dark to see if anyone had one locally.

Anyway I wrapped the manifold and finished cleaning up the block.

One of the mounting studs was damaged so I've ordered some chinesium replacements

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
      Contemplating ripping out the s52 because of the damage and shwapping in an m52 aluminum block with the s52 cams..

I found one in the junkyard but it was trashed
      Kind of a shot in the dark to see if anyone had one locally.

Do it!
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

"Contemplating ripping out the s52 because of the damage and shwapping in an m52 aluminum block with the s52"

Easiest idea to avoid future stress over prior damage

Find a m54b30 longmotor and retrofit the single vanos + manifolds and cams from s52 on it

Can't loose with more displacement and the motors are newer; much more common.
        Last edited by Wanganstyle; 08-12-2017, 08:32 AM.
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Already running into some problems.. time to bust out the hammers

Comment

you're brave
            Build Threads:
            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Is it touching or just about to?

Spacers on the passenger engine mount a possibility? Or maybe a manifold mount spacer?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Yeah it's touching. The turbo wasn't mounted, just sitting on the manifold. It sits at a slight angle cause it's touching

Don't really wanna shim the engine mounts. I think I'll just bash in the fender a bit and run one of those spacers if needed.

Anyone got tips on what to do with AC lines that run under the headlights? Not looking forward to rerouting those

Comment

Time to pick this build back up.. life got in the way recently. Also got more into miatas and have been building one for doing races and such.

This the current state

Currently working on the wiring harness to get that out of the way

Intercooler is a nice fit

Comment

What size inter cooler is that?
                    We're out there in here.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDNUNTA View Post
                      What size inter cooler is that?
                      CXRacing 28"x9"x2.75"

2.5" inlet/outlet

Comment

Small update, got the AC lines routed, although I’m not happy with the fitment at the compressor, gets too close to the frame rail and will get in the way of charge piping

I got reduced barrier hose, it’s way nicer than the standard size which can’t bend at all. This stuff is thin and costs about the same as the standard. Love it

The stock line here is just for fitment, it’ll also be replaced with new hose meant for r134

Some detail shots of the intercooler
                        It’s a tight fit

Got a bunch more stuff done that I didn’t get pictures of. Mainly wiring, but who wants to see pictures of that anyway.

Oh yeah and the motor looks like this now

Purdy.
                        Last edited by pandaboo911; 04-23-2018, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Doing some more work on this turd.

Needed a new 750iL master cylinder since the brakes never worked correctly. The old MC has a 35mm piston which was way too big. Also got a brand new booster from a Jetta instead of the old leaky 944 booster.

Replaced some brake lines that were rusting. Took me a while to get the flare right

Current state of the engine bay isn’t good, the last couple months of rain is making everything corrode.

Next up is new fuel lines.

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                            lets get right to it

valve cover off

mess under the intake

got the vanos off and fixed the god awful vanos rattle. No pics of that but there was a huge amount of play in the bearing.

sexy head off

looks like it ran a little rich. carbon cookies!

Hone marks still visible! That's a good sign right? haha

I believe this was the leaky cylinder.

close-up of the head

I'm not too good at identifying a failed headgasket.. Can anyone see evidence of a failure? Here is a pic of the headgasket.

Also I found some not so good stuff. A few journals on the cams are very badly scored. I can run my fingernails through the ridges. Anyone have any advice?

Awesome build! Did you end up reusing the scores camshafts?

Comment

Originally posted by jinoguy View Post
                              Awesome build! Did you end up reusing the scores camshafts?

Yes. I matched the cam journals to the right caps and knocked off any sharp edges with soft emery cloth

Never had problems since

Comment

Finished replacing the fuel lines. The original ones were totally trashed from running e85. New ones are the same copper/nickel material as the brake lines. Highly recommend it, it will NEVER rust

The ends have a bead rolled in just like stock.

Next up is cleaning up the engine bay and installing the intake. ... and wiring, lots and lots of wiring.
                                Last edited by pandaboo911; 02-24-2019, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X