Any of you cats do iRacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any of you cats do iRacing?

I'm going to build a rig soon for this since I'm taking the year off real track work to get some things done.

Just curious if anyone else uses it.
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

I went to one of the centers once and drove a v8 supercar around Suzuka (those are super tricky and a lot of my friends hated it, lol). Don't have a good computer to run it or I would probably have it.
    Last edited by Wh33lhop; 03-19-2014, 12:12 PM. Reason: grammur

Comment

Used it for a few months. It is a really good racing sim, feedback is very realistic and game is well polished. I did not like the subscription fees and how each car and track costs $15 or so. But, I am also not a serious racer like most subscribers so if you are planning on racing in leagues, then this is definitely the sim for it.

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
      Originally posted by scabzzzz
      I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
      1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
      2002 325i - DD
      2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

I raced for a few years. Triple monitor and a cheap G27 Logitech wheel. I need to sell my computer. I never play anymore.

M42 turbo build.
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=301330

Comment

PM me your setup, all the details, etc.

I could take the wife for a weekend in Hot Springs and maybe pick up your stuff from you.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

I used iRacing for a couple months. The handling to me sucks, and its expensive. Once you get near the limits of adhesion, its all over. Everything snap oversteers way too much. I went back to SimBin titles, GTR2 (and the fantastic free Power & Glory mod), and the bargain of the century, the Race07 series on sale for dirt cheap. There is every track in the world available for both titles, for free. Also every mod and car livery, which there are thousands, also free. The handling is much more accurate (Fanatec wheel), and there is always a race online you can join, or you can start your own.
            sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

Buddy, if you sign up let me know and I'll e-race your ass.

Just no spec Miatas. :p

Comment

The main thing you get from iRacing is the actual racing. There's no other simulator, game, etc that's like it. You have to be fairly dedicated or it really won't be enjoyable. For example, if I decide I want to run a race in a series that certain week, I'll be practicing all week until I feel confident enough that I've got the speed and consistency to be competitive. You've got to develop your setup and learn the nuances of the track.

What I'm trying to get at is that if you're looking for an actual racing experience, iRacing can't be beat. Now if you're just looking to hop on and do some laps every once and awhile, there are much better and cheaper examples out there.

My personal favorites are Assetto Corsa, rFactor mods and F1 2013. I've found that I've actually been playing those more so than iRacing as of late because I either don't have, or don't want to put in the time for iRacing.
                75' M42 Powered 2002
                AW 318is

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Horneck View Post
                  Once you get near the limits of adhesion, its all over.
                  You mean like real life? I've played it before and yes it takes some getting used. It's difficult to find the limit with only your vision vs being the car.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                  Buddy, if you sign up let me know and I'll e-race your ass.

Just no spec Miatas. :p
                  The MX-5 cars around Lime Rock are a blast......and damn hard to cut a good lap.

Originally posted by MX339 View Post
                  The main thing you get from iRacing is the actual racing. There's no other simulator, game, etc that's like it. You have to be fairly dedicated or it really won't be enjoyable. For example, if I decide I want to run a race in a series that certain week, I'll be practicing all week until I feel confident enough that I've got the speed and consistency to be competitive. You've got to develop your setup and learn the nuances of the track.

What I'm trying to get at is that if you're looking for an actual racing experience, iRacing can't be beat. Now if you're just looking to hop on and do some laps every once and awhile, there are much better and cheaper examples out there.

My personal favorites are Assetto Corsa, rFactor mods and F1 2013. I've found that I've actually been playing those more so than iRacing as of late because I either don't have, or don't want to put in the time for iRacing.
                  Yep that's what I'm after.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

I'm looking to do the same thing as you OP. I'm not hell bent on racing other people at this point just looking for unlimited seat time. Let us know what set up you go with and how you like it.

Assetto Corsa looks like a freekin blast! I need this in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by gtdragon980 View Post
                      if you are planning on racing in leagues, then this is definitely the sim for it.
                      I thought they only recently added league support...? There are lots of other options out there.

Originally posted by Gary Horneck View Post
                      The handling to me sucks, and its expensive.
                      My last actual seat time with it was a couple of years ago, though that was my impression then as well.

if you're looking for an actual racing experience, iRacing can't be beat. Now if you're just looking to hop on and do some laps every once and awhile, there are much better and cheaper examples out there.
                      My impression of it is exactly the opposite. iRacing is good if you're just looking to hop on and do some laps once in a while and/or the occasional pickup race, though as mentioned it requires deep pockets if you want to purchase an entire season's worth of cars & tracks. For a dedicated league and/or season of racing, there are lots of (better, cheaper) options out there, including a number of the ones Gary mentioned.
                      Originally posted by kronus
                      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

+1 and I also play Assetto every once in a while. The AI is terrible though...

Originally posted by agent View Post
                        I thought they only recently added league support...? There are lots of other options out there.
                        It's possible. I only started playing summer 2013, I thought I had seen the feature back then.

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                        Originally posted by scabzzzz
                        I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                        1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                        2002 325i - DD
                        2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                          My impression of it is exactly the opposite. iRacing is good if you're just looking to hop on and do some laps once in a while and/or the occasional pickup race, though as mentioned it requires deep pockets if you want to purchase an entire season's worth of cars & tracks. For a dedicated league and/or season of racing, there are lots of (better, cheaper) options out there, including a number of the ones Gary mentioned.
                          I think it really depends on your mindset. It bothers me to go out and race without knowing that I have the capability to get the win, so I tend to spend a lot of time testing. I do disagree with you guys in the physics department though.

I've done my fair share of rFactor and some of its bigger mods like DRM and the Endurance Mod. Now I can't speak for GTL and GTR2 (which I do want to try), but I've found that while iRacing does have some physics issues, rFactor is subpar to iRacing.

The major thing is the tire models. I've never felt like the grip levels in rFactor are up to a realistic standard, they just feel synthetic with very little feedback from the tire and way too much grip. Now I do agree with most people that iRacing's tire model isn't quite right on the limit. Yea, it's pretty hard to catch a car once it starts going around, but it's almost impossible to catch it in iRacing most of the time.

Tire wear and fuel consumption are another aspect that I think iRacing has down a little bit more so than the mods as well. Oh, and the laser scanned tracks. After running many of the tracks in iRacing and then going to the mods, they tend to feel disproportionate. That's still not to say you can't have a lot of fun with the mods though.

Say, anyone know any leagues with the HistorX mod? Or Power & Glory? (I actually hadn't even heard of that one before. It looks good.)
                          75' M42 Powered 2002
                          AW 318is

Comment

I've been sim racing for 10 yrs, and I spend more time with Power & Glory v3, than any of the other 8 sims I own. SimBins multi-player system usually has some racing going on, and there are numerous racing communities. I like the AI in SimBin titles, especially in P&G. Running the scary beasts from the 60's & early 70's, on vintage rubber, for a quick 30 lap race is a blast.
                            sigpic

2011 335i/1995 Mercedes C220 (rallyx)

Comment

Of the hundreds available, there are really only a handful of rFactor mods with decent vehicle dynamics. The Enduracers mod is/was over hyped and not very good.

rFactor is getting long in the tooth, though despite its physics being 8+ years old there are still tons of active drivers and leagues. rFactor2 should be going gold this year,and I think it has a promising future once the modding groups get up to speed.

Agreed on P&G and the Simbin titles too Gary.
                              Originally posted by kronus
                              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
                              X