Bringing this m20 back to life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing this m20 back to life *misfire*

Yes I do have that connector, but I am a little confused as what you're saying. Because of the way that harness is wired in banks its likely that it corroded somewhere and has bad connections? I'll pull it when I get home and inspect it, however I've tested to make sure the injectors are firing and they all are. I cannot tell if they're firing while its running but I know they are while cranking.

Why would the harness having different banks mean that it isnt likely the cap/rotor is the issue here.
    Last edited by mbonanni; 06-22-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
      Yes I do have that connector, but I am a little confused as what you're saying. Because of the way that harness is wired in banks its likely that it corroded somewhere and has bad connections? I'll pull it when I get home and inspect it, however I've tested to make sure the injectors are firing and they all are. I cannot tell if they're firing while its running but I know they are while cranking.

Why would the harness having different banks mean that it isnt likely the cap/rotor is the issue here.
      Yes, the connector goes bad. Bet the terminals are green.

The cap/rotor just moves the spark from the coil from one cyl to the next - it doesn't have "banks", but the injectors do...
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Well, removed the harness and cleaned it up and then roughed the surface up. Also tried to clean the injectors pins and it didn't help. They didnt look bad to begin with.

Guess time to check the cap and rotor. I'm probably going to try some high performance bav auto wires and a diff cap

Edit: Yup cap and rotor are shot. Chips and all the posts are black. I cleaned it off best I could and managed to get one more cylinder firing. So 4/6. Runs a lot smoother as well. Will be ordering new stuff tonight.
        Last edited by mbonanni; 06-27-2017, 06:21 PM.

Comment

New cap and rotor are on but still have a misfire. I think it is only in cylinder #2 but it is hard to tell.

Check engine light is on and trowing code 1223, coolant temp sensor. Could this be effecting stuff?

Last edited by mbonanni; 07-02-2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

So I ran to autozone and grabbed one of their sensors to see if I could get the code to disappear., installed a new one and it is still there I know these sensors aren't all that great, but could this sensor be the issue to my rough idle? I let the car get to operating temperature, restarted it etc and the code never went away. The car also does not react if I disconnect the sensor.

Comment

Deleted the c191 plug by splicing in the injector harness, seems to run smoother, but i think i still have a miss in cylinder 2. Im guessing its the injector, any suggestions?

Also my CEL is still on and throwing code 1223. I let the car get to operating temp and it ran the same. Drove the car around the block and the light would flash on and off. I was only in the neighborhood so I only got up to 25 or so.

Also my heater valve is leaking.
              Last edited by mbonanni; 08-06-2017, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I finally fixed my heater valve and got the car back up and running again, still runs a little rough at idle. I am not driving the car but it runs rough at idle and hesitates when giving it throttle. I reset the CEL codes and it would stay off for a little, but once I give it a little throttle the light flashes then stays on, this time it is code 1264, and fuse #9 is blowing. I ordered a new o2 sensor and relay in hopes of fixing the issue.

Comment

You can switch the injector to another cylinder and see if the miss follows it. Did you check to se if your power brake hose might be the source of a vacuum leak?

Comment

I believe I tried switching the injectors, but if the new o2 and relay doesn't help then I will try it. I have felt around to see if that hose was disconnected but felt fine. Ive read many people having issues with this so I will make sure to check it again. Thanks

Comment

Just switched the relay with a new one. Fuse 9 blew even quicker this time. So CEL and code 1264, new o2 heater relay, blowing fuse 9.... Waiting on the new o2 sensor

Comment

I've replaced the o2 sensor and now the car runs without any CEL, however it still idles rough.

Ive replaced:
                        Spark plugs
                        Cap
                        Rotor
                        O2 sensor
                        O2 heater/fuel pump relay
                        Tried different plug wires
                        Tried different injectors
                        Looked for vacuum leaks
                        Spliced c191 connector
                        Replaced Engine ground
                        Swapped ECU
                        Fuel pump (used)

Car idles around 550-600rpm but seems to either miss or have a vacuum leak. I am also blowing fuse #9 instantly upon start up, which is fuel delivery/idle system. I thought maybe the fuel pump but When I revv it up it runs smooth through the rpms, does not stutter, and when it gets back down it surges a little then will find its idle back at 550-600rpm. Under load a bad fuel pump would cause a stutter right? Could low fuel pressure result in bad idle but run smoothly up the rpms?
                        Last edited by mbonanni; 08-04-2017, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Did you replace both temp sensors or just the coolant one? Change the other one next to it if you haven't already done so
                          www.instagram.com/snwmble
                          #snwmble

Current:
                          '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                          '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                          '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                          '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                          '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                          '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                          '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                          '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

I didnt switch it with a new one but I did try a different sensor and it didnt help with the idle.
                            Last edited by mbonanni; 08-05-2017, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Well, got my hands on a compression gauge and the numbers are pretty sad

1 - 90
                              2 - 0
                              3 - 95ish
                              4 - 90
                              5 - 90
                              6 - 95ish

I took the valve cover off again and everything looks like it is moving, so Im leaning towards something wrong with cylinder # 2. I was thinking head gasket but there is no mixing of coolant/oil. I'll be taking the head off soon, but any suggestions of things to check before I do so?

Comment

While I was prepping the head for removal today I noticed that my injector #2 was not fully seated in the rail. This must have been from when I was switching injectors around Friday testing them. Could this have effected my compression test results, giving me a 0psi reading for cylinder 2???

Since that was the second to last step for me to remove the head I kept going. After getting it off and doing a quick inspection everything looks fine. The head gasket is not bad, no valves are bent, all pistons seems to be tight, and the cylinder walls have nice cross hatchings.

I can either risk putting the motor back together and potentially wasting a head gasket and a set of bolts, or swap in a b27i that I've got sitting.

Comment

Working...
                                X