2.7L Stroker and Boost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.7L Stroker and Boost?

I destroyed my 2.5L last weekend at around 30psi on a 6266 and E85. I have a spare 2.7L ETA from an 87 325e that I plan on swapping in and using the 885 head for the time being, until I build a forged engine

My question for you guys: Is the strength of the 2.7L engine any different from the 2.5? Is it a problem for this engine to rev to 6800rpm with boost? I know the compression ratio differences which will be lower then my 2.5. I've read that the 2.5 is actually a better bottom end because of its ability to rev higher, but that just doesn't make much sense to me seeing as the only difference in the bottom end is the stroke. The head is what I believed to be the limiting factor on Revs.

I know the limits of the 2.5L block now, but have no idea on the 2.7L. Can someone tell me if I can expect the same results out of this motor combo?
    - AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build
    Current Project - 87 325is 2JZ Swapped with M4 DCT

yeah youre still going to hurt parts if you dont tune conservatively and resist the urge to push higher and higher on OE parts. the difference between the two will be the torque the 2.7L will make more torque and make its hp a little sooner so it wont need to rev as much.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Stroke has an effect on piston velocity. So for the same rpm the 2.7 conrods will be hanging onto a faster moving piston, potentially higher chance of a bang at the same rpm?

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
        Stroke has an effect on piston velocity. So for the same rpm the 2.7 conrods will be hanging onto a faster moving piston, potentially higher chance of a bang at the same rpm?
        depending if you recognize that the engine doesnt need to rev as high to make the same hp and adjust the limiter accordingly, but yes for the same rpm its going to hurt things more
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

General consensus I've heard from people like Kamotors and a few other high hp m20 guys is 400rwhp is the most you can run reliably on stock internals for both the 2.5 and 2.7. Piston velocity and the rod ratio are the determining factors for your rev limit on the 2.7. Definitely being careful during tuning while in a street scenario definitely helps. Dyno will determine your timing way better and safer than your ass dyno

Comment

watching intently

Subbed for more nuggets of wisdom

:popcorn:

Comment

Working...
            X