Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 cluster

Hey guys,

I was wondering if "MotoMeter" band cluster parts are interchangeable with "VDO" brand cluster parts. I ask because I just got sent a speedo from a MotoMeter cluster, but I need to install it into a VDO cluster. Should I send it back and ask for a VDO speedo?

Thanks

-Jordan

no, they arent interchangeable. from what ive heard for years
    sigpic

Comment

They are not. However one entire VDO cluster is interchangeable for a MotoMeter.
      sigpic

Comment

:stupid: Nope VDO and Motometer parts are NOT interchangeable. VDO and Motometer clusters are however interchangeable with each other. So if you can I would try to send it back and get a VDO.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
        When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
        "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
        Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

well I thought i'd try it anyways, and it works perfectly!!.... I guess you guys were wrong. Thanks for the help, and I guess we all know now

-Jordan

Comment

So much misinformation in here its sad really.

YOU ARE ALL WRONG.

First look at the front of the cluster, do you have 1 or 3 RED S.I lights?

If you have 3, then all parts from all 84 - 03/86 VDO/Motometer clusters will interchange with each other.

If you have 1 (04/86 - 1992) then all VDO/Motometer parts will interchange with each other.

The earlier ones use different S.I Boards, Motherboards, and Speedo/MPG/Tach gauges then the newer one, which also has parts that you cannot change with the older ones.

The Early versions also had the Tach coding plug on the rear of the tach, while the newer spec had the plug on the front of the cluster itself.

VDO/Motometer were two suppliers built to BMW spec on how to make the cluster.

I've rebuilt easily over 10 of these clusters, including converting them for the M3 Oil Temp, Speedo, Tach. This includes recalibration of the gauge itself, and trust me the parts can interchange.

End of story.

Comment

so if I have a motometer from a late build 86, with one red light, can switch to an older 3 light cluster, so I can bypass and delete the si board

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                So much misinformation in here its sad really.

YOU ARE ALL WRONG.

First look at the front of the cluster, do you have 1 or 3 RED S.I lights?

If you have 3, then all parts from all 84 - 03/86 VDO/Motometer clusters will interchange with each other.

If you have 1 (04/86 - 1992) then all VDO/Motometer parts will interchange with each other.

The earlier ones use different S.I Boards, Motherboards, and Speedo/MPG/Tach gauges then the newer one, which also has parts that you cannot change with the older ones.

The Early versions also had the Tach coding plug on the rear of the tach, while the newer spec had the plug on the front of the cluster itself.

VDO/Motometer were two suppliers built to BMW spec on how to make the cluster.

I've rebuilt easily over 10 of these clusters, including converting them for the M3 Oil Temp, Speedo, Tach. This includes recalibration of the gauge itself, and trust me the parts can interchange.

End of story.

So does not matter what motor M20, M10, M44, etc..

Just want to confirm the omission of mentioning it was purposeful.
                Winner winner chicken dinner?

My Seller Feedback Thread

Comment

There are only two e30 clusters. White back and blue back.

White back are earlier build, pre-1986, coding chip on rear, made by VDO or motometer.

Blue back are later build post-1986, coding chip in front, made by VDO or motometer.

Parts are not interchangeable between blue and white clusters except gas and temp gauge.

Parts are interchangeable between each cluster type. ie. white to white parts, blue to blue parts.

Motor will determine which coding chip will be plugged into cluster for tach accuracy. Speedo constant factor (K=xxxx) written on lower half of speedo determines which vehicle speed sensor needs to be paired with the cluster for accurate traveling speed.
                  Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                  BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                  www.BavRest.com
                  My Feedback Thread
                  Our Facebook!
                  Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
                    There are only two e30 clusters. White back and blue back.

White back are earlier build, pre-1986, coding chip on rear, made by VDO or motometer.

Blue back are later build post-1986, coding chip in front, made by VDO or motometer.
                    I have in my hands a white backed cluster with the coding chip in front...so I guess there may be 3...or more.
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
                      Speedo constant factor (K=xxxx) written on lower half of speedo determines which vehicle speed sensor needs to be paired with the cluster for accurate traveling speed.
                      the speed sensors are all basically the same, they are only different depending on how deep they need to be to read off the 9 tooth ring (there are a few different sized rings, all 9 tooth, depending on what kind of diff you have). the difference in K factors is due to differences in tire sizes, not differences in VSS sensors.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

BMW engineers developed the cluster so that incompatible parts cannot be plugged into each other. They are "keyed" It would be impossible to plug an old speedo into a new speedo socket or old SI board into new SI board slot, etc. Thanks for the clarification Nando, I was close.
                        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                        www.BavRest.com
                        My Feedback Thread
                        Our Facebook!
                        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

So if i wanted to swap a cluster into in my 88 325is i need to get one from a 86+ m20b25 model car? one from a 91 318is wouldnt work accurately?

edit: could i swap the coding plug on the front of the board from my cluster to the 318 cluster for accurate speedo/tach readings?
                          Last edited by randomtask37; 11-17-2012, 07:21 PM.
                          98 M3/4/5

Comment

All hail James - helpful clairty to us rebuilding our inop clusters to make a working 1.

Comment

I have this thread bookmarked just to reference James' post for people asking this question. It should almost be a sticky.

Comment

Working...
                              X