No announcement yet.

Took me a over a year, but I finally got my first e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the rack done this morning, it was annoying as hell trying to line up all the bolts and collapsable column by myself, but I managed to get it done. I got a shit picture of the bracket that holds the column seal because when I had everything back together I just wanted to go for a test drive and I was tired.

Things I did to swap the e46 rack (e46 inner tie rods with e36 outer tie rods) into my 91 318
    1. Trim firewall
    2. Make a new firewall seal bracket
    3. Lightly bend the high pressure power steering line to fit e46 rack
    4. Bend the two bottom mounting tabs where the rack mounts to the crossmember to be able to take in and out the racks
    5. 14mm spacers on top of the rack

I started by trimming the carpet and getting the column nut loose but the collapsable steering wheel nut was a giant pain in the ass to get loose.

Got the old rack next to the new one to measure and try to have them set at the same length. The new rack is way better then the old pos because it is only 3 turns lock to lock instead of 4 turns lock to lock.

Painted the firewall after trimming it with the dremmel.

Here is the shit pic of the bracket that holds the firewall rubber seal, its hard to see because the floor mat and footwell panel is back on.
    Last edited by z28; 12-29-2016, 07:04 PM.
    First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

I just got that letter from the DMV letting me know its time for a smog and registration :curse: this is the first time I have to do the smog on this car and Im nervous. At least the car drives great with the new rack.

Comment

Verily passed the smog, the NOx at 15 mph was really close to the max but the good ol e30 managed to pull off a pass for the team. Now I don't have to worry about the smog for another 2 years.

Comment

I didn't show it earlier because I was busy with some stuff, but my gf got me a momo indy woodgrain steering wheel for christmas. I'm so lucky to have a girl that appreciates my passion for cars and puts up with my "projects".

New steering wheel being put to good use.
          Last edited by z28; 01-26-2017, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Never really cared enough to get a rear euro license plate filler for the e30, but yesterday an opportunity presented itself with a local sale, so I picked it up. Don't get me wrong, I like the look but it was at the bottom of the to do list. Gonna try to tackle the install tomorrow.

Last edited by z28; 01-26-2017, 10:09 PM.

Comment

The dang turn signals started acting up like 3 days ago, both right and left signals randomly stop working. I think it's the turn signal flasher relay because the signals start working again as soon as I tap the bottom of the steering column cover where the flasher resides. I guess ill just order a new flasher and replace it and see if it fixes it.

Comment

To satisfy my ricer needs, I got a double gauged a-pillar thing. Probably not gonna use it any time soon, but when it goes on the car its going to have an oil pressure gauge and a wideband gauge.

Last edited by z28; 01-26-2017, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Haven't had time to get some decent pictures.

Comment

Nice find!

Comment

Picked up some condor speed door handles, I know some people don't like them, but I do. I also picked up some 5th gen Camaro exhaust manifolds for cheap, gonna set those aside for whenever I start the ls1 swap. Hopefully I can make the manifolds work by having some v-bands welded on them.

Now I just need to find a good deal on some black door cards, I really don't like the grey interior.

Last edited by z28; 01-26-2017, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Got some front and rear smoked side markers, electronic hazards flasher relay and LEDs. Not gonna try the flasher until later, I don't feel like taking apart the steering column. Since I'm not gonna do the flasher anytime soon I didn't bother getting any LED turn signals.
                        EDIT
                        I couldn't resist and got some LED flashback turn signals for the front and some smoked lenses for the front signals also. I'm already getting an itch to get some Depo headlights and HIDs... the stock sealed beams suck major ass.

Front "switchback" turn signals LEDs
                        2x 1157AW60-SA

City Light LEDs
                        2x 194-WWHP5

Front and rear side markers LEDs
                        2x 194-A5 Amber (front)
                        2x 194-R5 Red (rear)

License Plate LEDs
                        2x 3710-CWHP3-V2 Cool White

Electronic Flasher - "Hazards Flasher Relay"
                        1x CF13GL-02 (3 Pin)
                        Last edited by z28; 04-22-2017, 10:01 PM.

Comment

This is a really cool build, man. Keep it up!
                          Zinno 1989 327i coupe - SSSquid chip, 19# inj, 4.10 LSD.

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
                            I didn't show it earlier because I was busy with some stuff, but my gf got me a momo indy woodgrain steering wheel for christmas. I'm so lucky to have a girl that appreciates my passion for cars and puts up with my "projects".
                            Oh yeah, you're so lucky - I'm jealous haha. don't understand why some girls don't respect our passion for cars etc.

Nice car and progress. Keep going bud.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Just took a drive to DDM tuning and picked up some HID's for the future depos Im gonna get.

HID's
                              35W Ballast and 5500 H1 bulbs
                              4x 9006 connectors.

Comment

Finally got the demo headlights and I put some yellow transparent vinyl on them. I decided to add some silicone on the lights to make sure they do not leak in the near future... since they are depo's. Ill try to get them mounted next week.

I had to cut a hole on them to fit the H1 HID bulbs.

And here are the depo lights with the yellow vinyl on them.
                                Last edited by z28; 05-11-2017, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X