Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Begins: My First E30 (brilliantrot 318is content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get that headlight switch installed and that nice subframe you just got Haha.
    (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Thanks man, I'm hoping to have the subframe (front) in over the New Year's holiday. Can't wait!
      1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

A few updates, some pics will come later -

I've been working on the interior a bit since the car is my daily and I'm trying to make it a nice place to be. Had a somewhat annoying incident where the sunroof got stuck slightly open and had to spray some contact cleaner in the switch to fix it.

All that is really missing from the interior is carpet and headliner. I've got some nice black floor mats which contrast nicely so I'm not too worried about sourcing a new carpet for the time being. That will probably be one of the later things I do. Recently put the trim pieces back in the trunk after thoroughly cleaning and drying them - feels fresh! Also made a battery tie-down - Home Depot special. Car is slowly starting to feel like something that won't fall apart on an autocross course.

I've recently treated myself to a few aftermarket bits, namely a vintage Momo from eBay, a plain black delrin shift knob, and last but certainly not least, some sweeeet black and gray Recaro LXs that I think will go great with the red and the rest of the interior. Will post pics later.

Comment

Teaser pics for you savages:

Comment

^^nice!
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
            IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Did guibo, CSB, and transmission mounts on Sunday.

Old guibo was stamped BMW so I assume it was the original. The pic of how shredded the old one was doesn't do it justice - it felt like a flip flop while the new one was rigid like a hockey puck. Definitely feels better.

Comment

Lo e those seats! Yea my gumbo looked worse than that when I got my car Haha. Which is now running!!!! You going to start autoxing soon? I probably won't make the march one but will be there in April for sure.
                (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Trust me, I think about what I'm missing every Sunday! I've been getting my fix with rental karting lately, but for me nothing beats the thrill of driving your street car at speed. Also love the entire autocross experience - waking up early, the car show aspect, community, etc.

...so I'm definitely going to get back out there, and having made a battery tie down and installed a seatbelt receiver - there's really nothing tangible preventing me from doing so - the only hang up at this point being the nagging feeling that autocrossing my 26 year old daily driver, which I depend on to get to work everyday, would be unwise. As soon as I can secure a second car, I'll start.

...now to check your build thread for the update. Glad to hear it's running. Always takes longer than you think, heh.

Comment

Before:

After:

Seats are Recaro LX. I'm really happy with the way they feel, though anything would have been better than what was in there. Shout out to MCK Recaro on Instagram from whom I acquired the seats - great prices, great selection, fast shipping.

This is a Momo Cobra. It's a nice steering wheel. The horn button is from Ebay.

Same wheel with hub cover. Which look do you like best? Think I'll rock no cover for a while. :p

Another shot of the seats.

This is supposed to be black but has faded to this totally-not-cool brown. Will be replaced soon.

Work in progress interior shot.

This car wasn't original when I got it, so I took the opportunity to add a few upgrades rather than keep it bone stock. Besides maintenance, the interior was what I worked on first and it is turning out nicely IMO. Still a lot of work to be done... it has come a long way from how it was when I first got it though, that's for sure.

Comment

good work man!
                      Paynemw
                      1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                      the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                      1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Now come race it! Love the seats
                        (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

New shift boot installed.

E-brake boot, too. These are from "stitched" here on the forum. Jordan is busy and it took a while to finally get a set, but the leather and workmanship is second to none. Install was kind of tricky - I wasn't really sure how to glue the boot to the frame, but it seems to have worked out. Still need a good e-brake handle as my old one is cracked.

Here's how she sits 4/23/17.

Comment

I wish I had more pics of the interior when I first got it - it was really a mess. Next big project is front suspension refresh.

Comment

Let me look through my things. I may have an ebrake handle in good shape. I can't remember if I used it or not. I will look tomorrow

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk
                              (OO=[][]=OO)

Comment

Car now has glovebox and carpet. Glovebox install went more smoothly than I thought - my used one that I bought here on the forum came with the hinge plate already attached so it was already nicely aligned.

Cleaning the used 325i carpet I got was a PITA, and it still smells a bit mildewy even after pressure washing it, drying it, then applying vinegar/baking soda. Don't know what else to try at this point, maybe another round of baking soda.

Feels great to have carpet/sound deadening since this car is my DD. Interior is coming along nicely. I'm done with the interior for a while for now - at some point I'll address the lack of headliner and rattles - mostly from the glass sunroof. I'm not 100% sure, but I think my car's glass moonroof is an aftermarket - or at least dealer - installed setup. So somebody actually cut a hole in the roof of a slicktop to install this thing - I'm tempted to remove all the sunroof parts and plug the hole, though I'm not enthused with the idea of there being body filler on the roof. Could always try to find a slicktop roof skin and weld it in like the factory does, but that seems excessive. Not sure what I'm going to do at this point.
                                Last edited by c0rbin9; 05-17-2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X