Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new bmw factory plug housings...what connectors go with what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new bmw factory plug housings...what connectors go with what?

I've been looking around for a while and haven't really found concrete answers and I don't want to buy wiring connectors randomly until I find the right one...here's my question. My engine bay has a ton of brittle crackly plug/connector housings. Also I have brittle wiring going into housings. I want to get quality replacements and the used connectors I've purchased aren't up to my standards. I'd like to buy new plug housings and the wiring connectors that snap into them for all the items I want to replace. The problem is realoem and diagram search options don't say which housing needs which connectors, or at least not that i've been able to figure out. is there a document somewhere that has all of this listed? is there a simple way to find out? I'm trying to replace my coolant temp sensor plug, my coolant tank level plug and a few other odd plugs. I just need a good reference so I can get going. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ReverseOTL.
    NewParts4sale.
    PartsWanted.

The only way to truly refresh that harness is to by a new one from BMW. Rather pricey at ~$600, but it will have new wires and connectors. The other choice is to haunt salvage yards until you find a harness in better condition than the one you have. I don't know of any listing that tells you which connector part number is associated with each use.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Most of the connectors are available individually from BMW, but you have to know the pin size, wire diameter, and type of connector that it is. You will also need a good set of crimpers and a few pin removal tools to service the harness.

Comment

jlevie, I don't need to repair my engine harness (if that's what you're referring to). I need to replace shabby connectors going to odd reservoirs in my engine bay.

bimmerteck, I know...that's why i made this thread. I don't need pin removal tools for the specific connectors I need to replace, I need a variety of circular connectors for the housings I want to build up. I just need to determine which one is for what housing. Unfortunately there are multiple versions of similar looking connectors. If all else fails I'll do some metric measurements and guestimate.
        ReverseOTL.
        NewParts4sale.
        PartsWanted.

Comment

Originally posted by sandlock View Post
          jlevie, I don't need to repair my engine harness (if that's what you're referring to). I need to replace shabby connectors going to odd reservoirs in my engine bay.

bimmerteck, I know...that's why i made this thread. I don't need pin removal tools for the specific connectors I need to replace, I need a variety of circular connectors for the housings I want to build up. I just need to determine which one is for what housing. Unfortunately there are multiple versions of similar looking connectors. If all else fails I'll do some metric measurements and guestimate.
          well i just so happen to have several hundred new pins and connector shells in tackle boxes for wiring repairs, i just don't have the time to make a reference post that large this week but i could probably get you a few tonight if you make a list of their applications. ;)

Comment

Here are the part # I have for the plugs you've listed so far. I left blanks in case anyone else knows the missing one.

Washer Fluid/Coolant level plug housing PN 61131378408
            Pins for above (2 required per plug)- PN 61130007441

e30 Aux fan coolant temp switch housing- PN
            Pins for late model coolant temp switch in radiator are PN 61130007445

Many BMW plugs have PN on them (7 digits works often in realoem) or just add the correct group #"61 13" in this case to get a 12 digit part number and look for superseded parts.

Comment

Interesting, I'll try to work on that then. The benefit of the factory ordered connectors is that they come pigtail'd so you can just snap in to the housing and do the wire connecting. Not saying I'm above crimping my own wire of course, it just rules out choosing the wrong gauge wire, etc. For the time being, here are the diagrams with the stuff I believe i need...I need to look at those connectors again and take pics to be sure.

I believe #7 is the coolant temp sensor housing i need. I can't find the 90* two port female plug for the washer pump (mine was blue) but it looks similar to #5; i think #5 is really a headlight plug. I don't see the black oval face two port female plug for the coolant level either.

I think I need three #3s for the coolant temp sensor, two more for the windshield pump connector. I think I need #7s for the coolant level style plugs.

Thanks btw, I was worrying no one would say anything for days based on the dates.
              ReverseOTL.
              NewParts4sale.
              PartsWanted.

Comment

Ah, you beat me to my post. thanks for what you listed so far, I think I'll be in my engine bay once I get back to the car to see what other numbers I can find. Hopefully this can turn into a small repair p/n list for DIY'ers.
                ReverseOTL.
                NewParts4sale.
                PartsWanted.

Comment

you can't go by the diagrams alone, there are around 6 different versions of #5 in the first diagram you posted each with different corners squared so they only plug into the correct item. That's why I asked for the list of what you need connectors for. I'm in from the garage for the night but if I don't end up getting sent out of town this weekend I'll work on getting some more common ones up.

Comment

Gotcha. The housing for the washer pump that you said was the same for the coolant level, aren't the same on my car. Should've said this earlier, but I have a 89' 325i so I know the reservoirs are different from early years, not sure on the connectors.

the connector on my washer pump looks like this (broken of course):

the connector on my coolant level looks like this (tabs are broken):

These two items above, and the coolant temp sensor on the upper passenger-side of the rad (that you gave p/n's for above...hopefully for a late 6cyl car) are the ones that stand out as needing replacement currently. This makes up my current list for the next time you hit the garage. thanks.
                    ReverseOTL.
                    NewParts4sale.
                    PartsWanted.

Comment

The housing I posted above is washer level and coolant level for the OBC. ;) I'll try and grab the washer pump connector tomorrow.

Comment

Pictures are worth a thousand words after all ha.
                        ReverseOTL.
                        NewParts4sale.
                        PartsWanted.

Comment

don't be afraid to look for connectors in the E34 and E36 sections of the ETK (or even E28 and others). For some reason, even though many of the connectors are shared they won't be listed under one model while they are under another.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Indeed, nando.

I got the few part numbers I need specifically together, for the housings, but the connectors are semi-questionable here and there. The whole .5mm-1mm vs 1-.2.5mm thing is throwing me off, so I took one for the team and ordered one of each to determine the answer to my questions. Spent 45 minutes at the local dealers parts dept figuring out the pigtails for the a/c fan temp switch. I'll post my findings and part numbers once everything arrives.

Word is there was an internal service book BMW made with a break down of every housing/connector/wiring combo for every model...I'd like that hunt that down.
                            ReverseOTL.
                            NewParts4sale.
                            PartsWanted.

Comment

A/C fan switch should be 2.5mm female pins
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X