Decent way to identify muffler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decent way to identify muffler?

I'm not a muffler expert, so this might be a silly question. If so, I apologize :)

I recently bought an entire used exhaust from manifold all the way back. I'm thinking I would like to adjust the sound, but the muffler that's on there has no external lettering, and without knowing what is on there I can't research how things compare.

I can measure the overall size, as well as the in/out dimensions. Would that be enough to figure out or at least narrow down what the muffler is? And if so, how would you go about solving this?

Here is a picture of it sitting next to a stock sized muffler:

Thanks for any help you can provide :)
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Originally posted by Earendil View Post
    I'm not a muffler expert, so this might be a silly question. If so, I apologize :)

I recently bought an entire used exhaust from manifold all the way back. I'm thinking I would like to adjust the sound, but the muffler that's on there has no external lettering, and without knowing what is on there I can't research how things compare.

I can measure the overall size, as well as the in/out dimensions. Would that be enough to figure out or at least narrow down what the muffler is? And if so, how would you go about solving this?

Here is a picture of it sitting next to a stock sized muffler:

Thanks for any help you can provide :)
    Looks like an ANSA muffler. We're looking at the one on the left, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Mfever View Post
      Looks like an ANSA muffler. We're looking at the one on the left, correct?
      Sorry I wasn't more clear. The unidentified one is on the right. Not that I know what the one of the left is (no markings either, except on the added tips), I just care a lot less what it is :)
      -------------------------------------------------
      1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
      2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Working...
      X