Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shift selector joint - is it supposed to have a bushing inside pin area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift selector joint - is it supposed to have a bushing inside pin area?

I'm in the process of replacing the shifter bushings and just pulled the selector rod joint off. There was no bushing or anything where the ball of the trans goes into the lever (the area that is held in by the pin). Is there supposed to be anything in there or am I OK to reuse it? I scraped out some gunk, but I'm not sure if it was oil/grime or an ancient gummy remnant of a bushing.

This is what I have now:

Do I need to replace it or is this how it's supposed to look? I hope I don't have to since it's Saturday and already torn apart and I don't live anywhere close to a dealer.

A piece of foam fits down in there. You should of just bought a new one.

Comment

Item #20 is what you are referring to.
      Not really plastic, even though the description says so
      1988 325 non-letter Seta "Bronzit"
      1991 325ic "Laguna Green" (Sold)
      1993 325i "Laguna Green/Silver" (Sold)
      1998 528i "Artic Silver" m-sport(totalled by drunk driver)
      2000 528i Titansilber/gray m-sport
      2000 528i Titansilber/black m-sport(sold)
      2001 525i Anthracite m-sport(sold)
      2013 750i Black/Black m-sport "Beast"

Comment

Does it need to be in there or is it just something that dampens nosie? I assume it takes out some of the play if it's in there?

I'll order a while new joint if I have to, but if it isn't an important piece then I can get the car put back together today. Otherwise I'm down for several days.

Comment

Yes, it's pad of not very dense rubber.
          You could probably make one out of the sole of a soft shoe.
          It's just to take up some of the slop by preloading the pin.

Comment

It makes a HUGE difference in shifter slop. Do not leave it out. I'd get one from the dealer. They are used on a ton of different cars, so they will likely have on in stock.

Comment

Yeah, best not to leave it (or a reasonable and easily constructed facsimile thereof ) out.

But be happy, Mr. RampageRR, fixing up the shifter mechanism is the most worthwhile* thing I've done to improve the driving of my E30. And I say that remembering that it was A Huge Pain In The Ass.

*That might change after this summer's suspension fixery.

Comment

Thank you all. I ended up not trying to rig up something to fit in place of the sponge and am just going to call the dealer tomorrow morning to see if they have a new joint in stock. I hope finding one isn't an issue since I have the offset joint like the older ones do. I'll end up grabbing a selector shaft seal too since it's starting to leak a bit.

I did end up finishing up everything else I had lined up this weekend. Let me say that replacing control arm bushings without any special tools kinda sucked. I had to physically twist the control arms into the new offset M3 style bushings (which I had to hammer into the lollipops). I honestly thought I'd be able to slide them into the bushings but I was sorely mistaken. :)

Comment

dont buy an offset joint from the dealer They are ridiculously expensive oe. Get an aftermarket MTC cheap. Im glad to send you one We have them on the shelf
                  We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                  www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

I really appreciate that! I'm definitely not going to get the whole joint after calling and finding out they wanted $95 for the joint. The sponge is only $4 and they have them in stock, so I'll swing by and pick one up to try this afternoon. If it doesn't feel better, then I'll absolutely give you a call about the MTC joint.

Also, thank you for the package insert I got from you the other day in my shifter bushing kit. I laughed way more than I should have.

Comment

I hope you had success with the factory foam insert inside the selector joint! I just went through the whole selector rod/DSSR swap and other bits. That little foam piece made it an absolute bear to put back together but once that pin goes in, its totally worth it. Shifter is so tight with DSSR, new shift ball bushing, and selector joint.

I hope others find this information!

Comment

Working...
                      X