Driveshaft removal help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveshaft removal help

I have searched through many online posts, yet none are too helpful.
    My driveshaft has the newer style balancer on it and I can't seem to figure out how I am supposed to remove this thing.

You can see in the photo how it all attaches. Bolt 1,3,5 go through the Balancer --> DS --> Guibo.... then bolts 2,4,6 go through the Trans --> Guibo.

I can get a 17mm socket on the trans/guibo head through that flange, but I won't be able to get a spanner on the trans side (the nut). I tried at least breaking the bolt loose, but I was applying a lot of torque and was worried that it was pressing on the transmission too hard.

Should I jack up the transmission on the brace for the exhaust, then undo the trans mount so that i can get a wrench on that nut? And if so, how much torque can I safely apply with a breaker bar before worrying about damaging the DS or the trans?

THANKS!
    Last edited by Mook613; 04-18-2016, 04:59 PM. Reason: Photo link didn't work

Those vibration dampers confuse a lot of e30 owners. Especially since they're only on newer models. If you remove the 3 bolts from the output flange from the tranny the whole assembly will come out. Pulled mine a week ago and didn't expect to see a damper. On e the 3 output flange bolts are out the guibo will come off attached to the damper and you can either have a friend hold it while you remove the damprr bolts or drop the front end of the ds and keep the rear bolted and handbrake locked.

Good luck splitting them if your doing csb guibo. I decided to throw mine back in because if the end links are bad while thing needs replaced.

Hopefully this helps. Again can be done with a little finesse with the tranny fully bolted that is.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Sorry. But to remove hold a wrench on the tranny side and use a ratchet w/ extension the typical 4 inch size I'd perfect.
      20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Working...
      X