No announcement yet.

325es noob build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my cat-back is rusted to shit.... Suggestions for a budget friendly replacement? Turner has a Bosal cat-back which sounds nice, but I think I need to fabricate a "Y" or something to work with my single pipe cat.... The only ones I see that come with a single pipe setup are Magnaflows, but I really can't drop down $600 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by BFT_Boyle View Post
      Unfortunately this engine was taken apart when I started so I really don't have a good reference as to where things go.

In fact, I discovered today that there are heat shield things for my motor mounts that I didnt put on.....
      That's the worst. My car was assembled when I got it, but it was put back together at some point by a buffoon, so I'm in a similar situation. RealOEM diagrams are your friend. I spend more time figuring out how to duplicate OEM routings/trim pieces than on anything else.

Either way, keep at it. Sure you could leave non-essential parts out but you end up with ill fitments, rattling, etc., which when taken together separates some old beater car from a proper restoration.
      1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
        That's the worst. My car was assembled when I got it, but it was put back together at some point by a buffoon, so I'm in a similar situation. RealOEM diagrams are your friend. I spend more time figuring out how to duplicate OEM routings/trim pieces than on anything else.

Either way, keep at it. Sure you could leave non-essential parts out but you end up with ill fitments, rattling, etc., which when taken together separates some old beater car from a proper restoration.
        Yeah I've got a bucket-o-bolts that keeps getting bigger.... I know there are some duplicates since it came with two engines. I have out about 10 miles in the car without anything terrible happening, so that's good ;)

Also, your the only other Corbin I know with an E30 asides from myself so hazza!

Comment

Decided to hit up a friend of my dad's who owns a muffler shop the next town over. I'll be hauling the bimmer sometime next week to be fitted with a new cat-back. I was going to order the Bosal kit from Turner and mod for the ETA single pipe, but after seeing the ~$200 shipping price, I decide to keep it local. Not sure what muffler they will be using, but generally they stock magnaflow or flow master. THEN I will be taking it in for smog. I'm hoping everything will pass... My county just requires the basic test.

Comment

I used a single flowmaster in&out along with a cherry bomb resonator on my eta. 2.5" all the way back and it sounded great
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              I used a single flowmaster in&out along with a cherry bomb resonator on my eta. 2.5" all the way back and it sounded great
              I had a 66' valiant with a slant 6 that had a cherry bomb. Loved that sound!

Meant to upload this video earlier. Replaced the AFM boot that was rock hard. She's got a healthy "whoosh" now which previously was accompanied by a little hesitation. Chipping away with the improvements :)

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Comment

Well, I ordered the JC ETA chip... 35% holiday discount on Turner. I couldn't resist.... My chip is soldered, so I'll have to pickup a socket to install, but I'm no stranger to working on PCB's.

Comment

Good news! I don't have a soldered unit.... I didn't realize the chip was under a plastic cover [emoji16]

Comment

A chip and a 3.25 LSD is a fun daily
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Perfect day to haul the bimmer! Headed to the muffler shop for a new cat-back

Comment

Waiting for results!
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          Waiting for results!
                          Me too! Waiting for a phone call this morning to get an update.... I really don't know what they are going to do for me other than new tube and muffler... hoping to be pleasantly surprised so long as my wallet survives :)

Comment

Picking the car up from the exhaust shop tomorrow. Total cost: 1 case of beer ;) Benefits of the family business and helping out neighboring shops. Nothing fancy, although I was told they had a pull off flowmaster left over. We shall see tomorrow

Comment

Finally picked her up last night. She's got a very nice tone now. My Conforti chip is going to be here today as well! Unfortunately it's supposed to rain a shit ton today, but the weekend should be clear to post a drive by video.

Comment

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

I digs it!

Comment

Working...
                                X