Blew up the motor in my 85 318...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blew up the motor in my 85 318...

So I have my 85 318 that i originally purchased automatic and from the original owners granddaughter. Had 119,000 on it in January 2015. After beating on the auto trans for about 9k it started to slip so i decided to finally install my 5 speed swap for it. So about 6k after the trans swap the little M10 has had enough. My question is if I take an e21 2.0l m10 and swap my oil pan, mounts, intake manifold, sensors, ect. Will it run on my L-jetronic? The motor is from a 77 and is currently carbed. Let me know what you guys think. After I tear down the 1.8 I'd like to prep the head to go onto the 2.0 block along with a t25 turbo from an sr20det I've been sitting onfor some time.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

77 may not- the block casting changed in 1980, and there may be bosses missing.
    Shouldn't be anything major, BUT don't count on it.

For example, you can't use a 2002 block on an E21, there's no bosses for the right
    side motor mount.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

TobyB is correct. I think 79 is the only 2.0 that will fork forward without a custom mount on one side.

Surely someone is making the mount arm.

Comment

Well that sucks... I'll make a mount If I have to I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, it's not impossible, just a bigger pain in the ass.

I scrapped a later E21 when the 2002 engine I had wouldn't go in easily-
          making a bracket would have worked, but the car wasn't worth it at the time.
          Now, I wish I still had it... but it'd get an M52/54...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Sorry, we did not answer all of your questions.

Yes, the L- Jetronic will work on the 2.0 L engine, but the ECU is not as "tunable" as the later cars. I would guess that the 14.5 lb injectors should still be fine. There is not much to do other than fine tune the ignition timing and calibrate the AFM.

There have been write ups in the Roundel magazine and I bet 2002faq has info.

The 2.0 will give you more torque, but not much more HP stock, but the crank is bulletproof if you ever want to upgrade/build.

Comment

1.8 I'd like to prep the head to go onto the 2.0 block
              That's not a great way to go, unless you use the IE 2.0l 1.8i pistons-
              the 1.8 wants a bit of a dome, but none of the 2l domes fit it very well.
              If you do spring for the IE pistons, tho, it's good- that head breathes well,
              and seems to be as durable as any M10 head.

hth
              t

Comment

84 318i Engine

If you might need a replacement engine, I have an 84 M10 in my garage with 250k on it, runs perfect. pulled it b/c I replaced with an M10 stroker and it's now just taking up garage space.

thx, bob

Comment

Working...
                X