• Time
  • Show
Clear All

i love e39 tourings. Congrats
    sigpic

Comment

If e39 touring fan here!!

My 2000 528it has been good to me.

Rear air suspension was replaced by the previous owner.

No real out of the ordinary problems for the e39 in general.

I will need my abs computer rebuilt.....

It is by far my favorite of our 3 BMWs!

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
        Congrats!

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
        awesome. post pics when you can

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
        Very nice!

Originally posted by wworm View Post
        dude! those are so sweet! def post pics ASAP

Originally posted by pilotskillse30 View Post
        i love e39 tourings. Congrats

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
        Wow. Really nice!!

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
        Very cool! Congrats

Originally posted by IceWhite View Post
        Congrats! Nice.

Originally posted by doorman View Post
        If e39 touring fan here!!

My 2000 528it has been good to me.

Rear air suspension was replaced by the previous owner.

No real out of the ordinary problems for the e39 in general.

I will need my abs computer rebuilt.....

It is by far my favorite of our 3 BMWs!

Thanks everyone! I'm super happy to have it. Doorman that's good to hear yours has been fairly trouble free. This one has a few things that need to be fixed up. My list so far is a rear passenger window reg, the plugs for the rear running/reverse light is damaged. Previous owner said it needed sway bar bushings and already had them ordered. He threw them in with the sale. Hopefully that cures the slow speed clunk up front. If not I'll be looking into what's causing that but most likely thrust arms. Maybe time to do the x5 ones.
        89 325 cabrio in progress m52tub28 swap
        99 540it
        86 Volvo 240 wagon
        99 Cherokee
        13 Passat

Comment

Very nice, I was not brave enough to keep my e53 when things started breaking. I was scared of the 4.4 Vanos dying and leaving me with a 5xxxlb paperweight.

Enjoy!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Nice looking ride!
            Estoguy
            1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

That looks great, I love wagons.

Comment

SWEET. Our touring is an 04 Allroad all tweaked out. If the air suspension and other tech is like our AR then yes you have a lot of work ahead of you. The results are incredible though. The refurbish and upgrade work does eventually end and the car becomes an absolutely joy.

Hope you document your journey for all of us.
                I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

I replaced exactly one regulator on my E39 in 90,000 miles of ownership. Be careful not to bend the exterior window trim piece and it's not too bad a job.

Congrats on the purchase!

Oh, and:

Schwarz:

Schwartz:

;)
                  Originally posted by kronus
                  would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                    SWEET. Our touring is an 04 Allroad all tweaked out. If the air suspension and other tech is like our AR then yes you have a lot of work ahead of you. The results are incredible though. The refurbish and upgrade work does eventually end and the car becomes an absolutely joy.

Hope you document your journey for all of us.
                    I'll try to keep track of most of it. Nothing too exciting right off the bat. The factory amp is no good so I'll be digging into getting a nice radio set up with blue tooth as my first project.

Originally posted by agent View Post
                    I replaced exactly one regulator on my E39 in 90,000 miles of ownership. Be careful not to bend the exterior window trim piece and it's not too bad a job.

Congrats on the purchase!

Oh, and:

Schwarz:

Schwartz:

;)
                    Lol, it must have auto corrected me on the phone. Yeah not too worried about it. I just want to get it right and reliable. I'll be looking into valley pan gasket, tensioner, valve cover gaskets, inspecting the guides, inspect vanos and ruibuild what's needed. PO said cooling system was done somewhat recently but I'll give that a good once over to see how complete of a job was done. Fun fun!
                    99 540it
                    86 Volvo 240 wagon
                    99 Cherokee
                    13 Passat

Comment

I vote for Schwartz!

Comment

Never been a big touring fan, but the e39 touring! :mrgreen:
                        90 Bronzit 325is
                        16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Originally posted by laidback93 View Post
                          Never been a big touring fan, but the e39 touring! :mrgreen:
                          I've always had a soft spot for wagons and hatches. I really like the e34 tourings as well. I never really knew how few of these were out there and I'm glad I never tried to find actual numbers before I found one. I probably would have given up. Hopefully someone can come along and correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've found it looks like there were only 2363 540it's sold in the US during its 5 years of production.
                          99 540it
                          86 Volvo 240 wagon
                          99 Cherokee
                          13 Passat

Comment

Small update of things to come for those of y'all that like these things.

Those 3 boxes have freshly rebuilt vanos units, all chains, guides and more seals gaskets and o-rings than I could imagine coming on a engine! I most likely will wait till I get the e30 out of the garage before tackling this. Still have to get a few things that I don't want to put in there used like clutch, slave, master, lines and plenty more little bits I'm not thinking of right now. Gotta start somewhere.
                            99 540it
                            86 Volvo 240 wagon
                            99 Cherokee
                            13 Passat

Comment

Not waiting till the inks even dry on the check, eh??

Lots of info on Bimmerforums about the manual swap with the v8.

Comment

Originally posted by doorman View Post
                                Not waiting till the inks even dry on the check, eh??

Lots of info on Bimmerforums about the manual swap with the v8.

Yeah, I just found a deal that was too good to pass up. I've read up a bit on it but I'm not tackling that one just yet. I'd like to address all the little knit-picky things I find first.

Haven't been taking pictures as nothing so far has been that exciting and partially out of frustration, but so far I've addressed the front end clunk. New end links were needed. PO must have ran the nuts home with a impact and they were stripped causing the play.

Also spent about 4 hours cleaning contacts in the tailgate, lubing and cleaning everything I saw. The plug for the running light and reverse light on the drivers side was stuck in the bulb housing and the PO decided just cut those wires right at the base of the plug (thanks). Unpinned that, re soldered, shrink wrapped and now all of my light work. Now it was time to figure out why the rear glass would not open. Apparently if the solenoid for the fuel door lock fails it blows the fuse that also powers the central locking system. Unplugged the solenoid, replaced the fuse, reinitialized my key fob and somewhere in all of that the glass now opens and I have a working key fob!

Time to order parts for the next checklist of items. Not looking forward to the pixel repair in the cluster.
                                99 540it
                                86 Volvo 240 wagon
                                99 Cherokee
                                13 Passat

Comment

Working...
                                X