Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st try at Valve adjustment -- how do I turn this crankshaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
    Did you do this? It would have done quite a damage!
    I have done it on MB diesels a couple of times. It usually free spins until it falls off. Not the worst thing thats ever happened.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstudent View Post
      I have done it on MB diesels a couple of times. It usually free spins until it falls off. Not the worst thing thats ever happened.
      On an E30, it would have done quite a damage.

Comment

tried doing the adjustments for my first time and it seems that it got louder than before. it does drive smoothly though but i can tell its not as peppy as it was before. any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Idrisu View Post
          tried doing the adjustments for my first time and it seems that it got louder than before. it does drive smoothly though but i can tell its not as peppy as it was before. any ideas?
          Post a video of a running engine here. "Louder" doesn't mean a whole lot on a forum.

Comment

You probably over tightened the valve eccentric nuts and changed the gap.

Always check again after tightening. Use one size up to check gap after tightening. A .012 should not fit, and .008 or .009 should be way loose. Turn the crank over and recheck each valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            sigpic
            1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
            I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
              Post a video of a running engine here. "Louder" doesn't mean a whole lot on a forum.

Originally posted by itsonlygeorge View Post
              You probably over tightened the valve eccentric nuts and changed the gap.

Always check again after tightening. Use one size up to check gap after tightening. A .012 should not fit, and .008 or .009 should be way loose. Turn the crank over and recheck each valve.

I made sure to follow all the steps, having it at TDC (towards the crank bolt since its on a slant) and using the .010 feeler making sure there is slight resistance. I did it by one by one at first then I went over it a second time. I will say that I did tighten the eccentric bolt more than necessary but I didn't think that would effect the adjustment.

Comment

I'll be doing mine soon and i surely hope i don't run into the same problem....I hoping for a straight forward valve job from a back yard mechanic "myself".
                Video not working......
                sigpic

Comment

First time I did a valve adjustment some of the exhaust valves ended up being tighter after I ran it, i think when I remeasured they were .008 or so. Ran smooth as butter after i adjusted it to spec. Go get the BavAuto tool and call it a day.

sigpic
                  1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Comment

Nice little tool make sense with the spring.
                    Now i have to master the timing belt water pump not that i have to but i should cause i don't know when the PO did it and once that's done i hoping the valve job should be a breeze....00.10mm right.
                    sigpic

Comment

First time I did a valve adjustment some of the exhaust valves ended up being tighter after I ran it, i think when I remeasured they were .008 or so. Ran smooth as butter after i adjusted it to spec. Go get the BavAuto tool and call it a day.

What exactly does that tool help with? I was thinking that it was the same as an allen key to put in the eccentric hole.

Comment

Its spring loaded so it helps set the correct tension so you don't over tighten and change the gap. The tool bends in the middle and has two angled sides.

sigpic

Comment

What exactly does that tool help with? I was thinking that it was the same as an allen key to put in the eccentric hole.
                          if you use something relatively stiff when you turn the eccentric you can generate enough force to move the valve slightly open because of the mechanical advantage of it. This affects the true clearance as when you take the feeler out the valve moves back a tiny bit and the clearance you get is less than you wanted. The tool stops you putting too much force into the eccentric ,as the tool essentially collapses limiting the force.
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Its spring loaded so it helps set the correct tension so you don't over tighten and change the gap. The tool bends in the middle and has two angled sides.

Originally posted by digger View Post
                            if you use something relatively stiff when you turn the eccentric you can generate enough force to move the valve slightly open because of the mechanical advantage of it. This affects the true clearance as when you take the feeler out the valve moves back a tiny bit and the clearance you get is less than you wanted. The tool stops you putting too much force into the eccentric ,as the tool essentially collapses limiting the force.
                            One more question, am I only able to measure the gap between the valve and rocker arm? Could I do it between the inside end of the rocker arm and camshaft lobe? I read that if the valves were wore down it would be an measure inaccurately.
                            Last edited by Idrisu; 04-12-2017, 08:56 AM.

Comment

the bentley manual says Page 22 4.27 Valve clearance being Measured.Feeler gauge is inserted between the rocker arm eccentric and valve...
                              sigpic

Comment

One more question, am I only able to measure the gap between the valve and rocker arm? Could I do it between the inside end of the rocker arm and camshaft lobe? I read that if the valves were wore down it would be an measure inaccurately.
                                you can indeed, but use a thinner feeler gauge to account for the rocker ratio something around 0.006 or 0.007" should be pretty close
                                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                                X