Crimper for electrical diy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    I agree with Nando, get a good crimping tool. I have a non-ratcheting one that I have had for years and years, still works great and makes perfect folded crimps, unlike those that make flat crimps.
    :stupid:

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Is this the same kind?? Theres a few on ebay that are $20shipped...
    Nope... The dies are really generic looking on that crimper. Don't get a cheap crimping tool; one tool can fit many dies, and that is what makes the more expensive tools worth it. Interchangeable, quality, dies...

For the time being I work for a company that makes wiring harnesses, and use these tools daily. See how this one has the "M" shape up top, and the slight concave bottom?

This tool makes...

sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

cool, just wanted to check first. buying it from vintage connections :up:

and because Im retarded when given options, do I need any of the other dies to do this particular crimping? I plan on (at a later date) buying the trio pack, but not now if I dont need to
      Last edited by 2mAn; 10-15-2014, 08:11 PM.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Vintage one works well. We have a few AMP/Tyco ones that are 175/each to do harness stuff :(

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

That crimper does both wire and insulation at once, which is great if you have the correct connectors and correct wire size, with the correct insulation thickness, it's a whole system really. The insulation on that connection doesn't look crimped enough and the wire looks over crimped. Most people just grab whatever combo pack of connectors and a cheap combo crimper stripper is handy since the store only sells a few sizes and they don't know what awg the wire is.

We use probably 6 different crimpers depending if we're using amp, molex, weird Japanese connectors, butt connectors, etc. but they're mostly single crimp style so you can get the right size on the wire then move to the insulation and crimp that to the right size. We also have some ratcheting, and some dual crimp tools and they make great connections if you have everything else matching, but in pinball and arcade games there are so many different scenarios you run in to you could never use a one size fits most.

If you're going to get new crimpers I would suggest getting a few different styles and practice with whatever pins you have, unless you can commit to using a whole system. Single crimp molex, single crimp amp, and a butt connector crimper that does both insl and non, with the cutters at the tip. That would be bare minimum for anything more than one job.

Comment

So, Im about to do this... Why am I so paranoid that Im going to screw something up???

Tips, warnings, advice?
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
            X