Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's leaking... Oil pan, profile gasket or main seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's leaking... Oil pan, profile gasket or main seal?

Dudes -

Got an S50 to swap into my car. :pimp: I'm going thru it as thoroughly as possible to make sure there are no surprises when its installed.

The PO had it in an E30 already (bonus!) and didn't clean anything when it was removed, which is great because I can see what was leaking. Nothing major that I can see, but the worst of the seepage seems to be from the front, here's a couple pics:

You can see I started cleaning the near side but stopped when I saw what looks like pretty consistent gunk across the front of the pan. What I can't tell is where it comes from.... seems the likely culprits are profile gasket, main seal or the front of the pan gasket.

Can anyone tell me from these pics which one of those is most likely? I'm going to be doing the pan gasket anyway, but was not planning on doing the other two. I can if its worth doing but I'd rather not (engine stand + 244ft/lb Jesus bolt = no bueno).

TIA
    SLE
    M119 M42 M62 S52 S62

Well if the oil leak continues while it is on the stand you can be sure its not front main as the oil level in the pan is not that high

The Build:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Its not leaking on the stand, it was full of oil for 2+ weeks in my garage & didn't see any leaking.

Will there be any indication of a leak past the oil pan gasket when I pull it? IE, no visible leak = something else is leaking? Or not necessarily?
      M119 M42 M62 S52 S62

Comment

metals expand, old gaskets and seals will "sweat" oil over long period of time.

Comment

^^makes sense. It doesn't seem too bad so I'll continue as planned. Won't be any worse than my m42 anyway.

Thanks for the help guys
          M119 M42 M62 S52 S62

Comment

Working...
          X