m52b28 iX swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m52b28 iX swap

Currently working on swapping the motor on my iX. Everything is going smooth so far but as I expected is taking me forever cause I don't have the time or money I wish I could have. I got my frankenpan all cut and mounted just need to have it welded. The engine is sitting perfectly in the car and mounts at the exact same angle as the m20 did. Right now I'm trying to figure out my flywheel and clutch situation. I have a single mass 240mm flywheel I was using in my iX when it had the m20. I was using the stock 228mm clutch with that as well.

A few questions I have are
    1. Is there a 240mm clutch kit I can buy that will work with my stock transmission. It seemed to work fine before with a 228mm clutch but I was just looking to upgrade to the 240mm so i have a larger grab area to accompany the high engine output.

2. Is this flywheel even usable anymore. It has been machined one and has a clear lip from being worn. You can see the lip between the edge of where the 228mm clutch disk was and he outside of the flywheel where the pressure plate bolts on.

Comment

Sweet swap, you have any problems with brake booster clearance?
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Id have it surfaced and run an e28 535is/m5 240mm clutch disc. Im making an assumption that thats what that flywheel is out of anyway. How much does it weigh? My 240mm weighed right at 16-17lbs.

Comment

I don't have a picture to show you but brake booster clearance is definitely an issue haven't decided or even started to brainstorm what i'm going to do yet.

Comment

I really like the way you profiled the cuts in the pans to fit together. That's smooth.

Use a pin pulling collet to get your alignment dowels out, then have the flywheel completely resurfaced. The shop should be able to pull the dowels (a *good* one will have the right tool). Reinstall the dowels once you have the new surface.

As long as the flywheel comes out at or above the minimum thickness, run it.

Comment

Working...
            X