alternator took a shit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternator took a shit

Alternator went out this weekend and got it replaced. The battery shows that it's charging but the car still runs like shit and the coolant temp and mpg jump around in the dash still. I unplugged the maf and tps but it gets worse. Checked vacuums but nothing obvious. Maybe a ground went out or something? It's got a really lopey idle and won't take any throttle.
    If you're not going to do it right, please don't take it out on your car!

Check the engine ground strap or the throttle body connection. I know on m50/52/TU/54 if the engine ground strap is loose it'll cause havoc. Keep me informed is like to find out what it really is.

Comment

E30 rough: http://youtu.be/XkDzffeQRjc

Comment

Here's a video I got of it. I'll check the grounds and maybe play with the maf a little more.

Comment

Definitely a throttle issue. How is the intake boots? Look for even the slightest crack. My bet it it's probably the maf sensor.

Comment

So when the alternator went the maf probably shorted or something? I'll get a hold of a new one and give that a shot. Is it bad to drive it like that? Its stranded in a parking lot not too far away from home but I don't want to risk screwing anything else up

Comment

Replaced the mass air and got it to drive home. It seemed like it didn't do anything at first but once it got driving it got better. But still spits and isn't all there

Comment

Hmmm. Ya with M52's I know if they idle like it that it must be some sort of intake problem. Unless its one of the coils.

Comment

Its obd1 and I haven't had too many intake issues. But tomorrow I'm going to pull the coils one by one and see if its firing ok. I didn't really know that the alternator going would have a ton of other stuff go down with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X