E30 vs other cars on limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickmpower
    yeah its a 91 318is so it should have one. I have driven a few cars with lsd's and i can defenitly tell its not working
    LSD's were optional on the 318iS.

Comment

LSDs are damn fun. :D

Sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by JRowe
        Tervetuloa. Ma asuin suomessa kaksi vuotta. Mutte en ole kaynyt suomea kymmenen vuotta. Ma en puhu suomea hyvin enaa. Siis, ma kirjoittan englaneksi.
        Kiitoksia.. Ihan hyvinhän tuo suomi tuntuu sujuvan vieläkin. :)

I still haven't sold my current car, but after that I propably start looking for a nice E30. This time I'll spend some more time looking for a good one, I've had to replace waaay too much stuff on my Golf.. It's been quite reliable for a long time, though, I propably shouldn't sell it. ;)

I've been thinking a lot about getting an iX, after hearing all the positive feedback from owners and magazines. How reliable it is driveline-wise when driven somewhat hard on tarmac? I'll propably attend 3-4 trackdays next summer and I like to drive hard-ish on backroads. I've heard that some splines in the transfer case wear, is it common? The reason I'm even considering one is that we have 4-5 months of winter / year. The extra traction would be helpful, especially as LSD is quite rare on 325i's in here.

Tuff240, I was thinking about 240 Turbos too. Too bad most of them (in here) seem to be from ~'80-'84 and have a LOT of km's (around 300k). Still, my friend has a 240 Turbo that has been in his family from brand new, I've been trying to make him sell the car to me. :)

Comment

Mine's a 91 318is and it did not come with an LSD. Still handles very well and only rarely does it only have traction with only 1 wheel. Most of the time, either sideways or burnout, both wheels are smokin'.

Comment

Originally posted by eeki
            Tuff240, I was thinking about 240 Turbos too. Too bad most of them (in here) seem to be from ~'80-'84 and have a LOT of km's (around 300k). Still, my friend has a 240 Turbo that has been in his family from brand new, I've been trying to make him sell the car to me. :)
            240 turbos were only made from 81-85. It is pretty easy to turbo a later car though. Probably cost you $500-700 in parts to do a basic conversion and you will have 160-200hp depending on the bits you get. 160hp (5-7psi) would be about all the fuel system could handle in stock form, but that's pretty easy to bump to 200hp. I've seen people do the entire conversion for $100-150 as well. Just depends on you hook-ups and how lucky you get.

My daily beater for instance, I picked it up for $250 with a blown cam plug. Poured oil out almost as fast as you put it in. BUT, it cost me $5 for a new plug and took me 10 minutes to install (pays to know these things ;) ). Had the A/C charged and a gave her a full-tune up for another $250 (did the tune-up myself). I went to the local Pick N Pull wrecker here and pulled a turbo, turbo exhaust manifold, intercooler, intercooler plumbing from a combination of 240 and 740 IC pipes and all the little brackets and extra stuff I would need. Cost was about $250 at PnP. Put it all on and had a new exhaust built for $200 at the local muffler shop. Had about $50-100 in misc gaskets and such.

So there you have it, a reliable daily beater for just over a $1k. 190hp and above will require much more tinkering and I would consider that not reliable just because the maintenence aspect goes up making sure everything is always in top form. 160-190hp is a set it and forget it type deal......very reliable.

Either way you go, I have nothing but praise for the e30's or the Volvo 240's.
            -Patrick

Comment

Working...
            X