No announcement yet.

Advice on Changing My Career Path?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that's it, last day on the job. I couldn't be happier!
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
      1) All of my relevant experience is in stuff that I don't want to keep doing. If I shift in my field, do I have to start over as if I don't have experience?
      pretty much. consider it from the hiring manager's side: "what skills does this candidate have that apply to the job *i need done*?"

when i finished up with iraq, went reservist, and started hunting jobs again, the "field deployment of satellite communications" experience i had was pretty awesome, but not at all relevant to civilian work.

so, started out as data entry/quality for $15/hr, and was given read-only access to the database. when a junior engineer at that job proved to be a fuckoff, he got fired and i was given a raise and tasked with his work. i proved i could do it, and over the course of 5 startup jobs in as many years, i showed myself worthy of tasks of increasing complexity and importance. now, i'm pretty happy with where i'm at. my job title still has "associate" in front of it, but the pay's what i wanted.

so yeah, if you really want to do something else; expect to start over and work your way back up. it's not impossible, but with your gf continuing education, i would consider whether it's wise. i would probably stick with something i didn't like to provide "more money, less stress" to the loved one who's trying to increase her own earning potential by going to grad school.

2) Other than googling and online job postings, how do I explore what opportunities are available find something that excites me?
      most of the time, me finding a new job when i need one has involved networking. that works more reliably than anything else. leverage your contacts. ask if anyone knows anyone at a company in whatever city you end up going to. there is a reason that reference checks come last in the interview process; solid references from someone with time in the trenches with you, and who'll speak well on your behalf, are your silver bullets.

3) Did I have an illusion that engineering would be fun/exciting? Is it really just manipulating Excel and writing reports?
      it kinda sounds like you're doing more accounting work than actual engineering. i thought MEs did shit in solidworks and stuff like that (not my area, i'm a software guy). if you aren't happy with what you're being tasked with, maybe it's time for a move. find a job in your destination city that'll make you happier.

i came to a realization like this a few years back. i was at a social media startup in SF, and wearing 3 different hats and becoming the connection between sales and engineering that didn't exist previously, and i did really well there; actually moved the needle at that company by making the sales team so effective that they onboarded so many clients that our servers started falling over from the traffic.

but after long enough, i thought about the company's mission, which was basically "make facebook advertising more prevalent and effective". that is not why i want to be tired at the end of the day.

find a company that does something you give a shit about (like in my case: "give many more people the power to be a finance lender") and you'll probably be happier, even if your tasks are menial sometimes.

4) Should I even stay in engineering? But if I do something else, is that a waste of the 5 years I spent earning my degrees and the thousands of dollars paid to the university?
      as someone up-thread said, this is the one you're going to have to answer for yourself. but i hope the advice borne of my last 5 years experience helps you make a decision.
      past:
      1989 325is (learner shitbox)
      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
      1985 323i baur
      current:
      1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
        when i finished up with iraq, went reservist, and started hunting jobs again, the "field deployment of satellite communications" experience i had was pretty awesome, but not at all relevant to civilian work.
        Hooah, 25 series. I'm about to be there myself. Have 4mo till terminal and hope to god I can find something
        -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
        -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

My last day is this Thursday. I'll be driving over a couple days after that. I'll be in San Jose. I grew up there and know lots of people so already have an apt/job lined up. Let me know if you need anything

I'm keeping my CT plates for as long as I can. I have a new cat but my check engine light has been removed so it'll be fun making the transition. My reg is good til 3/17 so I'm going to try to stretch that out. But not too long because I want one of the 60's reissue plates ;)

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
          X