Rear Subframe Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Subframe Q's

Hello guys, I'm trying to find some definitive information about the stock subframe positioning. I've searched a lot and have only found information on other vehicles that the manufacture offset the subframe 5+ mm (estimate) to one side of the vehicle.

My currnet issue is that I've had two e30's one midly lowered and one low with refreshed bushings and camber/toe plates. Both always rubbed on the passanger side rear fender.

The one with the refreshed rear subframe has had a proper alignment and both sides are dead even, even the adjusters are at the same postition, but the passanger side shows rub marks on the tire while the drive side has none. I can stick my hand between the wheel and fender lip on the driver side but Barely on the passanger side.

I took some measurements and found out that the wheel sticks out a few mm more than the driver side.
    Trailing arms are not bent
    Maybe it shifted to the right? Or bmw designed it that way?

Subscribed for info. Very precise question I doubt almost anyone have actually looked at before. I'm not even sure the best way to go about measuring for this outside of pulling cable lines or maybe go advanced tech and laser scan the undercarriage when it's up and loaded on an alignment rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

The rear subframe is symmetrical with both sides equal. One wheel out too far could be a bent trailing arm.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I had an issue where I bought a set of wheels from this forum. One didn't match the finish on the rest. Discount tire had trashed this guys wheels and replaced three of the four. I called Abraham's motorsports to buy the remaining wheel for the set and threw the one with the unmatched finish in the trunk as a spare.

Well, one of the wheels was 17x7.5 and the other three were 17x7. The bolt hole on the wider wheel was over the .5 portion of 17x7.5 so it looked like it said 17x7. Caused a lot of issues and was a pain to sort.

Unlikely that this is your issue but figured I would share anyhow.
        sigpic
        Gun control means using both hands
        Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Working...
        X