Advice on Changing My Career Path?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Changing My Career Path?

I need some career path advice, or at least, I need to be pointed in the right direction to start figuring this out.

I've been in the same job since I graduated with degrees in Mechanical Engineer (Nuclear Engineering concentration) and Physics (Math minor) in 2013. I now have 3 years of experience doing code compliance work, preparing engineering evaluations, and performing fire modeling for the commercial nuclear industry. My plan was to work for 2-3 years while I figure out what I really want to do. That time is coming to an end and I've had several realizations that come from my limited work experience in my current position:

-I'm not happy sitting in my cubical everyday from 9-5. It might be that my current job is not particularly exciting, but I just don't feel engaged. I feel like the only challenge I face is meeting unrealistic deadlines.

-I got a couple of misdemeanors one drunken night several years ago and there is a possibility that they will be a constant problem in such a regulated industry.

-I miss doing work with my hands and being out in the field.

-The part of my job I enjoy the most is when I get to problem solve and design solutions.

-Working for a small family owned company allows more flexibility, but navigating the family/friendship ties and nepotism is challenging. Also, the small scope of projects doesn't provide much room for advancement.

With all of that in mind, I think it's the right time for me to switch jobs. Which is great because my girlfriend will be moving to one of 6 cities depending on where she gets into grad school, so I want to follow her. (Seattle, Berkeley, Denver, Philadelphia, New Haven, or Charlotte)

That being said, I'm starting to question what's next:

1) All of my relevant experience is in stuff that I don't want to keep doing. If I shift in my field, do I have to start over as if I don't have experience?

2) Other than googling and online job postings, how do I explore what opportunities are available find something that excites me?

3) Did I have an illusion that engineering would be fun/exciting? Is it really just manipulating Excel and writing reports?

4) Should I even stay in engineering? But if I do something else, is that a waste of the 5 years I spent earning my degrees and the thousands of dollars paid to the university?

I know it's a lot of text, but I have no idea how to start figuring out whats next. So any advice would be awesome.
    Last edited by McGyver; 02-10-2016, 11:53 AM.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Seattle would be nice maybe get into something with the aerospace industry?

Comment

Facing similar dillema minus the missus moving. 3 years of manipulating excel and empirical design charts to say what you want in a report while spending 40+ hrs a week in a cube gets to you. Due to get my PEng this year so at least the ring will be justified, after that having a real hard time staying in this for the long haul when you look down the hall at the stress levels and overall life satisfaction of mentors.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Nobody can help you decide this stuff. These are questions only you know the answer to. Far too many ppl in society are brainwashed into believing that others have the answers that will make them happy (I blame the education system).

Follow what interests you. You are still too young to get wrapped up in worrying about the rest of your life. Take it day by day and along the way you'll find what works for you.

After 10-20 years you'll realize that you had the answers all along. You just needed time to trust your own judgement

And that's all I gotta say about that
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Move to Idaho.

Comment

So much to be said, but I'll contribute on one of the topics: finding another job.

Whether it's the same field, or a totally different field: you need to look at what you enjoy. What products do you like? What fields are interesting to you?

Do some research on the companies that make the products you like and support the industries you have hobbies/interests/experience in.

I work in Film/Post-Production; I love the outdoors, so it would be smart for me to look at companies like Filson, Red Wing, Nike.... all of them need marketing, production, things like that. That's where I could come in.

Additionally, you might find that your experiences could allow you to do something in a totally different field. A company might be looking for someone who is technical, can lead, and perhaps they DONT want you to have a lot of experience because they want to train you to do something their own way.

You never know.

First thing you need to do is pull out a pen and paper and start writing down your hobbies, interests, all that good stuff... Perhaps then look into the locations that your GF is going to school and see what companies reside there. Simple google searches will help.

Lastly, cold call/email. I've done this with great success. I called a few awesome car-rigging companies right out of college "hey, love your work, I'd love a tour". I get a tour, then talk to them about entry level positions (I have a ton of editing/software experience, but minimal productions experience). They offered me a job on the spot driving and setting up their gear for clients.

You can do it. You don't sound like you have 500 financial responsibilities so you could still 'start over'.
            The Red Dragon V.5 1991 318iS / 2013 F800GT

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"

Comment

Been in the same boat for many years, major existential crisis ever since I turned 30, almost a decade later and still no clue what I want to do with myself. Well, I know what i want to do with myself, but everything I am interested in or good at either doesn't pay shit or there are no jobs. Currently aimlessly attending community college hoping to get some sort of idea.

Good luck, its a really hard road when you don't have shit laid out in front of you.
              sigpic
              1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Any job will start to feel boring and meaningless in a few months unless you are doing something that is altruistic, like Doctors Without Borders or volunteering in the Peace Corp or serving in the mission field, etc. I really don't think there is any work out there that remains glamorous for years and years. Entrepreneurs get bored once their brainchildren are stable and bail to ignite another startup.

I would stay the course in engineering - domain expertise is an overused term but it is a valuable asset if you are in the right space / vertical. Start networking like a mad man and maybe move out of the mom n pop shop... you will eventually find a strategic position that will be more rewarding... I am certain of it. And, get the most value out of your degrees.

Lastly, of the cities you listed, Charlotte has the hottest job market.
                I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

I would just move jobs and see how you feel in a new environment while still doing what you went to school for. At this point, most graduates don't stay in their first job for more than 2-3 years anyway, so you won't be out of the ordinary there.

If it still sucks another two years in, choose something else, life is too short to be in a job that sucks ass forever.

Comment

If I were you I'd consider giving me first crack at buying one of your E30s before you move out of Richmond.
                    www.truegearhead.com
                    - bad decisions & questionable cars

Comment

Engineering can be fun, but what you are describing does sound pretty boring. An ME can usually bounce between industries rather easily based on assumed competence. Not saying this applies to you but I do machine design, in the Non-destructive testing industry and having a degree will get you pretty far, even if that means you are designing machines without ever having turned a bolt on anything in your entire life. I'd say scope out your options in other industries, visit places, talk to people, maybe get involved doing some part-time work in another field that you're interested in- see how that goes.

I haven't even completed my engineering degree but I ended up doing what I'm doing by wrenching on/setting up race cars for a couple race teams, working hard, being methodical/meticulous, and then just meeting a ton of people. Solidworks experience is a real plus too, can carry you into many different industries
                      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Have you considered romantic male massage ?
                        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Join the police delartment.

I left school early (EE) and took two years working a 14hr + day job doing some soul searching. I bounced around a lot of ideas, career paths. I finally chose the right one.

Go outdoors. Get out of the cubical. Disconnect from wifi, cell towers, etc. Do some soul searching. Hit the trails for a week. Pack the E30 with a tent and some grub, go get lost. Make an adventure. Get to your roots. Your core. Worked for me and I think we are not all that different. It has been this way for a long time, cross cultural path to seeing what makes us, us.

I left the engineering idea . It was excruciating for me to leave. I had a lot invested. There was pride. . The sense of failure.. but always the fear of doing something maybe I thought I would enjoy but possibly would hate. Money would have been great but... I see who I would have graduated with.. and I don't think the prospects are good. It was bad timing. My classmates I pray for they landed a good gig and are happy. They graduated at a terrible time in the economy.

With your nuke background, OCS/ROTC US Navy? waffleswaffleswaffles? waffleswaffleswaffles has a killer transport security team.. if you like adventure and are in the shape...or leave it all behind and do you man. We grow up with a lot of pressures, prodding, expectations. . Things we may never necessarily key on as being what made us choose something.. that's why I encourage you to strip it all down. Find what makes you tick. You seem young still. No kids. No wife. You are free to move about the cabin. Do it. Don't be stuck in that spot you see the guys down the hall that you mentioned. Money is not all its made out to be. Millionaires still go bankrupt. Some modest families have enviable lives.. happy kids, healthy marriage.. some of the real sweet joys of life that last and grow and give back.

Again, I been there.. done it. Man up! Bring out the warrior side and take the battle head on... find out what makes you tick.
                          At any rate, whatever you choose, there you'll be!
                          Last edited by TimeMachinE30; 02-10-2016, 06:24 PM.
                          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

waffleswaffleswaffles. Dept of NRG .energy. . D Of E comes out as waffles.
                            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Petroleum Engineer.... many drilling firms dont care if you know the geology, they can teach you that......

But with oil prices like they are might be a little competitive to get into right now. But they get paid the best, and YOU WILL BE IN THE FIELD more than likely A LOT
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                              X