HPDE - 1...... Big Ass F150 - 0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HPDE - 1...... Big Ass F150 - 0

Skills learned at HPDE once AGAIN saved my ass and car from a dipshit drivers incomeptence.

So there I am on the way to the sandwich shop in the slow lane of a three lane highway.
    Im just about to begin to slow down for a red light 75 yards away. To my left is the center lane. To my right 6" tall curbing next to a Burger King.

I glance to the side and I take note of a white late model F150 is in the center lane. Then I refocus my attention to the slowing traffic in front of me. Out of the corner of my eye I see attitude of the F150s nose change and begins to come into my lane.

Just as that happens, I firmly stab the brakes and at the same time steer the car away from the F150. As soon as I complete my evasive maneuver, the driver of the F150 realizes Im in right next to him and jerks the truck back into the middle lane.

That evasive action on my part gained me 24" of space. Had I not reacted as fast as I did, the truck would have nailed me for sure.

So what were the learned HPDE skills utililized?
    1. Looking ahead and being aware of your suroundings.
    2. Expecting the unexpcted. Anticiapte.
    3. Quick, smooth control reactions
    4. Coolness. No Panic. Just getting the job done.

I've had my fair share of close calls - that sounds like stuff that happens to me all the time. So, I've just gotten used to creating mental images of the cars around me, and deiciphering what they may do - if there is space for them to move, any space at all, I assume that they will switch lanes, so I watch all my sorrounding traffic like they are ready to cut me off. It's saved me a few times.

Also, when I change lanes, ya know, to get around those slow cars, I always get closer to the car in front of me rather than making the person I'm changing lanes in front of feel like they're being cut off...

I also brake hard early, if traffic is slowing, giving me more room to stop slowly for people behind me. I've driven a tahoe, unfortunately, and I know how slowly those thigns stop, I really don't wanna have my little 325 get rear ended by a huge truck - that would suck.. :x
    - Sean Hayes

Comment

I had that happen to me while driving my mom's blazer. Dumbass driver pulled acroos traffic making a left turn and pulled into the center lane and waited then almost ran right into me. had to swerve to the far right so he wouldn't it me. I'm with you on the fast reflexes part.

Andrew

Comment

I know what you mean Mario. I had a similar experience a few nights ago.

I was in town with my roommate and his friend, all in my car. The are both offensive lineman for our football team, so they are big guys. Pat (roommate) is about 260, and he was in the backseat. Daniel was riding shotgun, and he is a solid 305. I wasn't having much wheelspin problems that night. ;)

Driving along a 4-lane road in the right lane, at about 40mph, when a woman in a Rodeo pulled RIGHT out in front of us, running her stopsign. Thank God there was nobody in the lane next to me, because we CUT to the left lane, with the rear end getting loose due to me lifting (probably shouldn't have) and missing the SUV's rear quarterpanel by a couple feet at most.

I thank auto-xing, stiff suspension, and good tires for the evasive maneuver.

Good move Mario. :idea:

Comment

a little while back i had a jacked up f-150 do the SAME thing to me, and i reacted the same way. those f-150's must have bad visibility.
          98 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask37
            a little while back i had a jacked up f-150 do the SAME thing to me, and i reacted the same way. those f-150's must have bad visibility.
            Or bad drivers.

Comment

Working...
            X