Coolant Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant Temperature

Just got my OBD1 swapped m62b44 on the road and have been keeping a close watch on the temperature with a scanner...I'm starting to think I need a larger radiator but I'm not sure if its the problem.

I have a v12 75?°C thermostat and an e36 Mishimoto aluminum radiator with 14" Mishimoto pusher fan on the front. This radiator wouldn't let my M52 even get to operating temperature so I figured it'd be sufficient.

The fan makes no difference in temperature. The engine will run right at 94°C at cruise (about 200°F) and will creep up to about 100°C (212°F) if I let it idle before I shut it off. The fan only prolongs the time it takes to do this. I'm watching it with a scanner direct off of the CTS, at 94°C its right at half on my stock temp gauge.

So what I'm wondering is, what is a safe temp to run at? And does this sound like the radiator is too small? Even with the hood off it doesn't really help, though we have been having 90° days down here in FL.

I was looking at the Behr replacement radiator for a Z3M on Turner for $169, would that be a good upgrade that would cool the v8? I'd hate to have to shell out the money for another Mishimoto...but I want something good quality. Is the all aluminum worth it over the plastic/alum?

I'm open to options though I'd rather not hack up the car for anything. Really the only issue I'm having with the swap. She's been running beautifully.
    Last edited by strang3majik; 04-27-2015, 06:26 AM.

I just bought one of these for $299. Hopefully it does the trick. SOWO is coming up quick.

Comment

I'm not familiar with that thermostat, you've changed the waterpump to the M60 type? My M62 has the electronic thermostat, opening at whatever the stock temp is(high), it wants to run at around 200-212F. I have the E36 Mishimoto radiator with a larger 16" electric fan, I wired up the electronic thermostat to the fan relay. It now keeps the engine around 196F.

Comment

i had your new radiator (good deal on it btw, i think i paid $350) on my 302, kept it reasonably cool during regular driving

you should really get yourself a SPAL fan though, not sure how mishimoto tests their fan's CFM but most manufacturers get their figures in free air with no restrictions. SPAL gets their figures from what gets pushed through a radiator core.

i noticed an incredible difference in cooling power when i switched from my zirgo fan to a 16" SPAL pusher. there really is no comparison

Comment

I think I may have to upgrade to a SPAL then. I figured Mishimoto would be plenty.

I installed the new radiator and it definitely cools better as I have to sit still for a minute or two before it starts heating up with the fan on vs how it was before heating up almost instantly when I would stop.

But the temperature will still creep up. Soon as I start moving it cools back down so I suppose my 14" fan isn't sufficient.

Also putting a box fan in front of the car makes it hold temperature much longer as well. I let it sit for about 20 minutes before it crept up to 100°C in a stagnant garage, but, soon as I remove the box fan it will start to creep much quicker.

And smalcol, I have my m62 in my e30, I converted it to M60 electronics and such as well as to an m60 waterpump and thermostat, though I upgraded to the v12 thermostat which is a cooler temperature.

I'm just confused as to why its running so warm.

Comment

Working...
          X