No announcement yet.

What is your swap weight all V8's welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is my understanding that a stock Ford 302 will rev to 7,800 all day long, but an LS will make 450hp at the rears with a coolant change.

Comment

the reciprocating assembly on a 302 might be light enough to rev to 7800rpms, but you'd need ARP main/rod bolts, shaft rockers and solid lifters for it to have a remote chance of living for very long

the coolant change claim.... well, that's stereotypical LS owner power exaggeration :roll:

the LS series of engines don't run on magic... they're air pumps, just like all the other small blocks, difference being that GM did as many hot rod tricks as possible to the LS while keeping it emissions legal at the same time. if you stroke a 302 out to match the displacement of the LS (or just switch to the more comparable 351w block) and do the same equivalent hot rod tricks you'll find that the power gap is minimal, if not nonexistent

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3 View Post
        How much does the S65 weigh compared to an LSx?
        The engines themselves will be pretty comparable, for an aluminum LS. The T56 is ~120 lbs, so significantly heavier than stock.

Vorshlag weighed M20 vs. LS when doing their GRM car, but I don't remember the numbers.

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
        GM did as many hot rod tricks as possible to the LS while keeping it emissions legal at the same time. if you stroke a 302 out to match the displacement of the LS (or just switch to the more comparable 351w block) and do the same equivalent hot rod tricks you'll find that the power gap is minimal, if not nonexistent
        Of course most of the older engines can be made to match the power output of an LS... It's just way more expensive to do with the older engines, as they require a full compliment of aftermarket parts, including heads, while a $500 junkyard 5.3 with a cam, headers and tune can be a 400 HP engine.

Comment

can't argue about the 5.3 having serious potential, but good luck finding any of the aluminum 5.3 blocks for $500 any more, most of the junkyards i've found have caught on to that little trick. you can still get the iron ones for pretty cheap, and while 400 wheel is pretty nice, that's a 700lb engine/tranny combo right there... quite hefty if you ask me

Comment

I was referring to the iron block engines when I mentioned $500. I know the aluminum ones are all more expensive than that.
            Have you looked at www.car-parts.com ?

There are transmission options other than T56 as well. My dad's working on a Datsun with iron 5.3 and Saginaw 4 speed with BW overdrive. That trans has an iron case, so it's not a light weight, but there are aluminum case 4 speeds available, or even a Getrag 265 or a TKO would work as well, both of which weigh much less than a T56.

Aluminum block saves 80# relative to iron. The Getrag 260's a light trans... of the 500# shown above, probably 450 is the M20. A dressed aluminum LS will be a little more than that--450-480 range, plus 120 for a T56 -> 600 lbs drivetrain or about 100# weight gain over the M20. An iron engine would up that by 80, and a lighter trans could drop it by about 35 lbs (I *think* a TKO is ~85#). Even an iron block/T56 combo should keep the weight gain under 200# relative to an M20 car.

Not that that's a good thing... but lightness costs money.
            Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 06-07-2015, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
              anyone got ACTUAL weight figures for a m60?
              I don't have a complete engine laying around (should have weighed it while I still had all the pieces...)

But, here's my bare m60b40 block. 62 lbs.

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

If I remember I will try to get my M60 on a scale once I reassemble it!
                Originally posted by 36brua
                Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...
                Patryk:up:
                Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 325is ///M-Tech II
                08 VW .:R32
                04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

jeez.. the m60 will probably end up being pretty light (maybe not due to the DOHC heads, not sure how much they weigh but my guess is hefty) cuz right there that's almost half the weight of the 302 or aluminum LS block

Comment

Jean weighed his a few years back. Fully assembled, 450lbs. That's with the stock 38lb flywheel, but without the A/C compressor and starter. Otherwise complete with all normally required accessories.
                    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                    e30 restoration and V8 swap
                    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I have a couple of m60 heads in my room. One with sprockets and chains and absolutely everything was 57 lbs. The cam securing hardware altogether is a heavy bag of stuff. Will weigh in a more specific way if desired.

Also, I guess bmwfans.info weights aren't perfect. The heads are listed at 30 lbs each, which I can see without cams, sprockets and all hardware maybe. Block with piston listed at 85 is probably pessimistic if the block is 62. Ah well I'll do the fact checking if I care enough to anyway.

Comment

Mine, M3 with M60 swap 5 speed. 17s and e36 front end, no rear seats, 2700lbs

Comment

Working...
                        X