Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

engine quits while running on the freeway...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine quits while running on the freeway...

So i was driving home tonight on the freeway in 5th gear at about 3.5k RPM's all of a sudden the car lurched a bit forward and rear and then the tach dropped from 3500 rpm to zero rpm. The check engine light came on. I Imediately gave the car gas and the engine came to life again only to flutter on an off here and there all the way home.

Im guessing i need a new fuel pump but im not sure. I guess it could be my alternator but i dont think so because my battery is fine. The car has alot of juice to turn the motor over. Does anyone know how to test a Fuel pump... and where to buy a new one?

Whats up dude, I have the same problem with my car but haven't been able to pin point the problem yet. As of now it could be your fuel pump or filter, CPS (crank position sensor), bad spark plugs and wires, dirty injectors, ingintion, distrubor cap or rotor, fuel perssure regulator, small holes in fuel line, bad AFM and or DME computer. Ive been slowly replacing these parts and my car hasn't turned off in about 2 months now. Hope you figure it out. Ive been researching this for awhile, so this should help.:)

LatR

Comment

my car would randomly die sometimes too while driving. Have not been able to pinpoint the problem as I don't drive the car much. Since a little gas brings the engine back to life I would not assume the fuel pump. I would look at the crank sensor first. Your fuel pump shouldn't stop and suddenly start again.
      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I had the exact same problem a few years ago. The engine would die for about a second while I was driving. It would cut out and then come back to life again and again. It started happening only once and a while, got more frequent until it was not safe to drive, finally I had enough and dropped it off at a shop. They ran tests on the fuel pumps and both of them were bad. Having to replace 2 fuel pumps is expensive... Good luck!

Comment

I had the same exact problem and mine turned out to be the main relay. So I'd check that first. Much cheaper than a fuel pump or two :)
          This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

Working...
          X