Hot Start Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Start Problem

I have been driving my eta for around a year now and it has a tiny problem when you start it warm. It never really bothered me all that much.

But, when you start it when the engine is warm, immediately you have to give it a blip of gas or it won't continue to run. Right after that initial blip it will idle just fine. Runs perfect when its cold. I probably won't do anything about it till this summer when I have more money floating around and its warmer out.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Isaac
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Anybody?
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

kanooter valve, no maybe it is the coolant temp sensor broken/reading cold, because that would cause the cold start injector to flood the engine

Coolant temp sensor/kanooter valve

Comment

A guy on the local forum thinks it has to do with a thermo-time switch for the cold start valve. Makes sense.
        '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Crank sensor.

Will
          RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
          Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
          DaveCN = Old Man
          My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
          If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

not sure on that one but I would throw a temp sensor at it. 20 bucks an 5 mins in the cool Wa state air. You will be fine I swapped a head with the high only in the mid teens last month out side mind you (garage is full)
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist View Post
              Crank sensor.

Will
              Wouldn't it not run at all if the reference sensor was bad? AKA no spark...
              '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Usually when crank sensors start to go out, they will run fine until the engine gets warm, then stop running. Then it wont start right away, youll have to wait till the engine cools down to start it again.

Will
                DaveCN = Old Man

If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Holy shit, you just explained my exact problem. EXACT problem.

Comment

Me?

Will
                    DaveCN = Old Man

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist View Post
                      Usually when crank sensors start to go out, they will run fine until the engine gets warm, then stop running. Then it wont start right away, youll have to wait till the engine cools down to start it again.

Will
                      But I don't have to let it cool down, it starts but then will immediately die unless I rest my foot on the gas. I have been doing this for the last 9k miles without issues..
                      '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Gotcha. Prolly not the crank sensor then. Have you taken out the ICV and cleaned it? Or tried a different one?

Will
                        DaveCN = Old Man

Comment

Working...
                        X