Rebuild m20 head value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild m20 head value?

So a decent used head goes for $200-250 shipped. How much would a rebuilt head go for? Valves ground, new valve guides/seals, new rockers, shims under the valve springs. Would $850 shipped be asking too much?

Will
    RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
    Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
    DaveCN = Old Man
    My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
    If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

You wouldn't rebuild a decent used head, and it's not even a certainty that you'd have to replace the valve guides on a low-ish mileage head. So the base price of the build is $75-125, the cost of a good core head.

Rockers cost $170 for 12, head refresh on SOHC costs around $350 (jet wash, valve job, resurface, install new guides), seals $12. So, this brings you to around $600 to 650. Add in the cost of shipping, $50, and you're at $650 to 700.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

But then I would be taking care of all the work, packing it up, etc. Would $800 shipped be unreasonable then?

Will
      DaveCN = Old Man

If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

i think $800 would be reasonable, i sold my head with ~160k miles on it for $250
        all original
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

i think that's a bit too much.... unless you're taking into account the negotiation... I, personally, never seen m20b25(assuming this one?) head go for more then $700
          sigpic

Comment

what was the mileage of the cast before rebuild?

i dunno fredk, i rebuilt a good head. having the motor apart for the stroker, figured i might as well
            Originally posted by blunt
            can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Mileage before the rebuild was 186k.

Will
              DaveCN = Old Man

Comment

I paid $500 for a "rebuilt" head. well, some of the machine work was done anyway.. but it wasn't put together right, and one of the rockershafts was bent. I replaced that, the cam, all the rockers, valve springs, and the remaning valves. that's not all neccesary on a simple rebuild though.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                X