Quick cam/ head ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick cam/ head ?

At the risk of sounding like a noob I have hit a slight snag in fixing this 90 I 4 door I got.

Had to swap a the head (PO let the T-belt go too long an lost it a 55 mph) ANy way my spare good head is all well an fine its just 3 teeth off the timing marks an I cant seam to turn the cam gear. I have oiled the shit out of the head tried the torx bolt that holds the rotor mount and got nothing (stoped before I broke anything). I have tried by hand many times an even tried my fly wheel turning tool an I cant get a good enough bite to get it to turn.

Am I missing something here or what any ideas gentlemen?

thanks
    RJ
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

You could try a strap wrench on the cam sprocket. But it shouldn't be that difficult to turn the cam sprocket. Sounds rather like this head has a problem.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Is that head on the block?

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

yes its on the block I just installed today. An yes it the cam turned fine when I removed it from the parts car 2 months ago so its not a head problem I just cant turn it to time it before I put the new T-belt on. I am sure I could put the new belt on get the cam alinged then remove the belt reset the crank and put a another new belt on it. But I was hoping someone had better idea. Strap wrench is a good 1 but mine is not big enough (my 1st thought) an 2 I have all ready called around an nobody has 1 big enough.

Anything else
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

When I was on TDC on #1, I could basically turn the cam about 10 degrees, maybe a bit more.

If you need to turn it more, I would say pulling your eccentric adjusters so the valves don't move would get it.

Talk about a PITA!

GL, HTH,
          Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

I concur w/ Luke. If that doesn't work, then start moving the rockers around until the cam is loose in the head.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Yeah thats what I am leaning to. Its about 15* out from where it has to be an I think its valve spring pressure holding me up. I did manage to find a huge strap wrench at the store tonight so I will try that in the morring an see if that will work. Thanks for the tips guys.

William Pitt-

Comment

Strap wrench? WTF, man...these are interference heads.

You have a piston hitting an open valve!

Do NOT use a fucking wrench of ANY kind on it, you will at the very fucking least dent a piston, making a hot spot, causing detonation!

Stop that RIGHT FUCKING NOW and loosen your valves!

You are using the timing alignment mark behind the harmonic balancer, right?

The one cast into the block!

'Nuff said.
                Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

No I dont have a valve hitting a piston I am 3 teeth off the timing mark on the cam in the proper rotation direction. Yes I have the crank timed correctly I have varfied the marks to bee correct on the lower timimg cover an the crank flange. IT dosent matter any way the crank spins free an has dents in it any way from the PO letting the timing belt go too long. Its the valve spring pressure thats holding the cam in place. Once I brake it over the lobe that has pressure on it I will be in time. I dont have the T-belt on it yet I am timing the head to the crank 1st. This is not the 1st Interference motor I have fixed I know what I am doing. The only reason I came on here was to see if anyone had trick for just this problem on a m20. I guess not. So if the I can get the cam past the lobe thats holding things up I will have to pull the damm adjusters on that rocker arm an reset all the vale adjustments.

William Pitt-

Comment

here is a visual aid so you guys get my problem

Red tooth is lined up on the timing mark on the head

black with highlighted white is the actual timing mark 3 teeth off. So close but yet so far. I have pulled some of the adjusters and its not enough the rocker is still got tension on it from the valve spring keepers pushing back up on it.

William Pitt-

Comment

Are the plugs out of the engine when you try to turn it?

Will
                      RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                      Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                      DaveCN = Old Man
                      My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                      If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

why wasn't it lined up before you put the head on?

Comment

Will, buddy the lower end is on time #1 is at TDC I had to install a new head.

T-dot thats what I get for just pulling a head off a parts car an not thinking ahead. An if I cant turn it whiles its bolted down how would I be able to turn it sitting on the bench? You guys need to read the 1st post better.

William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                            You are using the timing alignment mark behind the harmonic balancer, right?

The one cast into the block!
                            Luke
                            i used the falling edge of the 14th tooth on the 60-2 wheel and the position sensor, i never found the timing mark

Comment

You are trying to set the timing AFTER the head is on the block? Why? since you say you know how to work on an interference motor, yet you are trying to make the valves and pistons interfere. This seems to be a user problem and not a valve train problem.
                              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Working...
                              X