Bad Axles? Or?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Axles? Or?

So I replaced both my rear axles with new ones. I also replaced the wheel bearings. A month later the left rear axle failed spewing grease all over the hub. I replaced the axle (under warranty). A month later the new axle also failed in the exact same way.

Though it is possible I got two bad axles, it is unlikely. Any ideas before I install axle number 3?

[/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

The most common cause of that, with generic remans, is that that the outer CV joint boots rub on the shock. If I can't find good used OE half shafts that can have the boots replaced and have to use a generic reman I replace the boots with OE parts before installation.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The CV boot is well clear of the shock. Also the issue is not with the boot, as you can see it is the axle inside of the hub.

Comment

alighnment issues?

i am confused. I see the grease on the wheel bearing, it looks like cv grease.

did the cv boot fail and spew the grease? or did the bearing fail and spew its grease?

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
        Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

OEM is the only way to go, I have a set total OEM new Bearings, Stars, Cages, Circlips, Clamps, Boots,Torx bolts, caps, Bolt and lock washer. OEM are built for the car, after market are cheap and useless, especially the Chinese ones LOL.
          PM

By looking at the shafts they do not look very new, the clamps and caps look to be original. Did you torque the hub nut and torx bolts after replacing?

Comment

This has happened to me twice as well, not sure wtf is going on. Each time I just replaced it with a used one though...

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=222794

Comment

Originally posted by Smelser View Post
              alighnment issues?

i am confused. I see the grease on the wheel bearing, it looks like cv grease.

did the cv boot fail and spew the grease? or did the bearing fail and spew its grease?
              The cv boot has failed and is spewing grease out. The bearing is fine.

Davem: did you ever solve the issue? Because what you have looks exactly like my problem.

Comment

Correct torque amount on the nut holding the axle in place?

It looks as if the grease came from the open end of the boot and the metal "cup" that it is attached to, not from a rip/tear in the boot itself. Kinda strange.

Are you sure something failed? Maybe it is just excess grease getting flung out?

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                  Correct torque amount on the nut holding the axle in place?

It looks as if the grease came from the open end of the boot and the metal "cup" that it is attached to, not from a rip/tear in the boot itself. Kinda strange.

Are you sure something failed? Maybe it is just excess grease getting flung out?
                  The axle nut is torqued to 150ftlbs. All the grease in the boot was expelled. It happened to both the first axle and its replacement.

Comment

You need to check your torque specs..The hub nut torque is 390 and the torx bolts is 95
                    This is very important.

Comment

390 ftlbts?

Comment

Originally posted by z122643 View Post
                        The cv boot has failed and is spewing grease out. The bearing is fine.

Davem: did you ever solve the issue? Because what you have looks exactly like my problem.
                        yeah I swapped out the axle for another one, it's definitely not the wheel bearings

Comment

Working...
                        X