Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch pedal lost pressure, not popping back out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch pedal lost pressure, not popping back out.

So I drive an 85' 325e with the 5 speed manual transmission. The other night while I was driving home the clutch pedal started losing pressure. I had to push farther and farther into the reach to get the clutch to engage. By the time I got home I had to bury the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to get it to shift out of gear. I assume it's not the clutch because I did the bentley test (putting the car in gear while it's off and starting the engine) and it lunged forward and stalled.The brake fluid reservoir was also low so i put some new brake fluid in it and over a couple hours it was down back to halfway. Would it be my master cylinder leaking or my slave cylinder gone bad?

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Either a bad clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder. They will generally leak when they fail, so it is pretty easy to spot the problem.

Comment

look at the transmission housing from under the car. if there is a bunch of brake fluid your slave has failed.

otherwise, it's probably the master cylinder. And the brakes are a-okay, right?
      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

I haven't noticed any fluid leaking onto the pavement as of now. Haven't gotten it up on jackstands yet, that'll have to wait till tomorrow. Brakes are working fine and i have taken the trim panel off and haven't noticed anything wrong with the master cylinder on that end.

Comment

Originally posted by WhigBong View Post
          I haven't noticed any fluid leaking onto the pavement as of now. Haven't gotten it up on jackstands yet, that'll have to wait till tomorrow. Brakes are working fine and i have taken the trim panel off and haven't noticed anything wrong with the master cylinder on that end.
          The most common failure of the clutch master cylinder is an internal seal failure which doesn't result in a leak. Replace the master and slave since when one goes there other soon will.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
          X