Diff bushing tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diff bushing tool?

Hey guys. Well when I recently swapped out my suspension I noticed that the differential bushing was cracked and needs replacing. I was wondering if I need any special to to remove or install the new bushing?
    And the PO snapped a bolt off in the diff and I wanted to know if I can just unscrew the CV joints and drive shaft from the diff in order to remove it. Or do I have to remove the subframe and the ends of the axle to be able to drop the diff completely .

Thanks

There it the screws on either side, the drive shaft bolts, and 4 bolts on the top holding it to the sub frame. As far as the diff bushing I don't really know. Btw what do you mean he snapped a bolt off IN the diff? is it one that holds the back cover on or something else?

Comment

just remove the cover. way easier. you don't have to remove the diff.

then you can bring it to a shop and have them use a press. should be cheap.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Tron View Post
        There it the screws on either side, the drive shaft bolts, and 4 bolts on the top holding it to the sub frame. As far as the diff bushing I don't really know. Btw what do you mean he snapped a bolt off IN the diff? is it one that holds the back cover on or something else?
        Yes the bolt is snapped off in the top of the diff, not the back of the diff but I know what your referring to. It is one of the 4 screws that are on top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          just remove the cover. way easier. you don't have to remove the diff.

then you can bring it to a shop and have them use a press. should be cheap.
          Ya but I also have a bolt that is broken off in the top of it so I need to remove the entire thing in order to remove the broken bolt. By any chance do you know if I can remove it without taking of the subframe?

Comment

Disconnect the half shafts at the differential flanges, disconnect the drive shaft, and drop the differential. There is no need to drop the subframe.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
              Disconnect the half shafts at the differential flanges, disconnect the drive shaft, and drop the differential. There is no need to drop the subframe.
              Great, thank you very much

Comment

Working...
              X