Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Lid sometimes hits convertible frame when putting away

Imgur album

My convertible top is in good condition but is not original. It has some issues when closing it. For one, that hinged piece roughly where the B pillar would be that folds back when you fold it down? yeah, that doesn't fold on its' own and I have to walk around the car like 4 times to fold it back and get the strap to fold back neatly on both sides.

W/e I can deal with that I guess. The bigger problem is that seemingly randomly, when I go to put the top up or down, the act of folding up the rear half to be able to swing open or closed the vert top storage lid.... well that will often contact the bottom of the hinged part of the top frame about 1-3 inches above the lids fully closed position. Worst case scenario? It rips out my plastic moulding pieces attaced the edges of the lid because they catch on the frame. Any help? Sometimes this never happens, but when it does, I cannot for the life of me figure out why that hinged piece isn't sitting back another inch or two and it takes probably 5 solid minutes (kind of a long time when you are trying to drive somewhere) to mess with it to guide the lid to safety.

Thoughts? I searched and didn't see too much on here (but maybe my methods of searching are not ideal, idk)

ok, opened the search up to more than r3v and got some hits. Also went out and my top did it right away so I took some pictures. Apparently, from my readings, I've gathered that the top itself should be "vertical" or as close to vertical as possible to help facilitate those folding in. Makes sense (definitely tried this on mine I Believe, but I will recheck...). Here is the thread I am referencing.

It appears it has to do with how you fold it, but I do the same method every time. I also will attempt to simply push it more forward but it's a bear and definitely not something I feel should be forced.

Perfhaps it's simply not adjusted properly? Every other aspect of the top is spot on (save the B pillar hinge not auto folding) and it honestly feels fairly new or at least garage kept.

What have you guys done when encountered with this problem?

EDIT EDIT:

Ok, I figured out what the deal is. All you have to do is make sure the middle fold is pushed towards the front of the car. This way the back piece can move as well. It's supposed to automatically do this, but sometimes doesn't. That maybe is because of something that is worn? Either way, I can now always operate my top (minus that weird folding part)
    Last edited by BaltimoreBimmer; 08-17-2016, 09:48 PM. Reason: don't want to double post + added pics

Mine does the same thing and I have to give it a "helping hand". I know for a fact my tension straps are toast, and figured that could be contributing to the problem. Until I replace them, I won't know for sure.
    Current: 2011 M3
    Retired: 1986 325e, 1991 318i, 1991 325ic, 1992 325ic, 1998 528i, 2002 325xiT, 2003 530i, 2005 325xiT, 2008 335i

Comment

Originally posted by md-va View Post
      Mine does the same thing and I have to give it a "helping hand". I know for a fact my tension straps are toast, and figured that could be contributing to the problem. Until I replace them, I won't know for sure.
      Simply pushing the second bar works wonders. I'm going to update this later with a picture. Do you have any issues with the top b pillar hinging bracket not auto folding back when you collapse the top?

Comment

I think mine is OK. I do have to stop half way and manually fold the top fabric the correct way before stowing all the way down.
        Current: 2011 M3
        Retired: 1986 325e, 1991 318i, 1991 325ic, 1992 325ic, 1998 528i, 2002 325xiT, 2003 530i, 2005 325xiT, 2008 335i

Comment

that thing doesn't fold right when your tensions straps are old and have lost their elasticity. Unfortunately replacing them means replacing the top. There is a workaround on e30ic.com

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
            that thing doesn't fold right when your tensions straps are old and have lost their elasticity. Unfortunately replacing them means replacing the top. There is a workaround on e30ic.com

https://youtu.be/DXWk0a2-D7o
            My tension straps are brand new and i still have this problem... albeit to a much smaller extent than when they were blown out.
            1987 325i Convertible
            2015 Fiesta SFE: 1.0L of 'Woah, is that torque under 2k?'

Comment

I have this same problem, but there is an easy way to avoid it (took me forever to figure it out though). When lowering the lid, with the rear of the top pushed up, the lid hits the underside of the top, yes? Just before it hits, take a look at your rear window. You'll see it's shaped like a U at that point. Simply push the U-shaped window forward (towards the front of the car) about 2", and it will allow the top to fold up another 1" or so, clearing the lid. How this helps!

Comment

I have this exact problem, but only when the car is warm/hot (like when it sits in the sun). Took me a while to figure out that I had to push that bar forward, but I wonder what causes it to get stopped up in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                X