Congress authorizes ISPs to sell user data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congress authorizes ISPs to sell user data

a lot of the conservatives i know are pretty privacy-conscious so i'm surprised this hasn't been posted here yet.

Concerned about your web privacy? These are the ways that Internet Service Providers can collect and sell your browser history.

as for me; i'm working on an automated little proggie that'll run in the background on your computer and generate randomized internet browsing and google searches- poisoning this well of personal data they're trying to sell. it'll be open-source, so let me know if any of you want it. :)
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

The amount of shit you guys put up with from your government is astounding given how your country was founded.

Great idea for a program. ;)

Comment

Not much of a difference between this and using FB or any Google product.

If someone wanted this data for malicious reasons they could already get it, and if you wanted privacy you'd already be using a VPN.

But it is another revolting example of valuing the desires of larger organizations over personal rights/freedoms. Ultimately some sort of case law/state law will come along and erode the power of this legislation.

Comment

Look at Vault7. There is no privacy. Hasent been for decades.
        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Do Iike it no, but really no different than any other search engine, f.b. or other targeted cookie using add service. Really does not matter all that much anymore with that wonderful server farm /massive archive the nsa buit in UT. The store every packet of data sent by u.s., isps and record every phone call for future reference.

Timemachine is very correct privacy in this modern day and age is all about the illusion of privacy
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

They are going to have a whole hell of a lot of dick pics.

Comment

there are countermeasures to take (i finished writing my poison-comcast proggie last night). but yeah, they involve a suite of measures... which are more than your average user wants to deal with. even vpn alone isn't enough.

good popsci article: http://www.popsci.com/how-to-protect-online-privacy-vpn
              past:
              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
              1985 323i baur
              current:

Comment

looks like a few other people had my idea too :D

my github repo (this is quick and dirty, still have pull requests from a collaborator to bring in and test):

it generates a randomized site hit about every 3-5 minutes.
                past:
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:

Comment

Generating a Bunch Of "Internet Noise" Isn't Going to Hide Your Browsing Habits
                  Originally posted by kronus
                  would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                    Look at Vault7. There is no privacy. Hasent been for decades.
                    Vault 7 isn't an example of that our privacy has been invaded, it's the massive NSA data centers all over the country.

In any case, we shouldn't rationalize that this change is OK because the NSA data centers exist.

ISPs shouldn't be able to sell your data without your explicit consent and the government shouldn't be operating these data centers either.

Comment

Internet privacy is a very thin veil in our online world today. There are entities which have been watching and know what you view for quite some time. Only thing being proven here is the conservatives in Washington DC care more about their corporate interests more than the citizens they 'represent'. And even though these constituents from the right are upset at the moment, this will soon be forgotten and they will re-elect the incumbent on the ballot in 2018.

'Merca....fuck ya.
                      Rides...
                      1991 325i - sold :(
                      2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

we are working on emulating javascript, and generating google queries that will trigger ad-retargeting.

also, gawker sucks at the internet, which is why they went bankrupt.
                        past:
                        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                        1985 323i baur
                        current:

Comment

Yeah forget about that whole Peter Thiel / Hulk Hogan thing, or the sale to Univision. It's because they sucked at the internet.

Originally posted by kronus
                          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

ok fine i was being a little terse- that is *how* they sucked at the internet.

my point is you should not treat them as a trusted source on information security.

start here if you want to read someone who actually knows what they're talking about: http://krebsonsecurity.com
                            past:
                            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                            1985 323i baur
                            current:

Comment

Working...
                            X