X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great progress, fun read.

Comment

Fun Stuff has happened!

Registered for the vintage - Ill be there in the E30 and my dad will bring the E32. Really looking forward to it. I enjoyed it a lot last year.

Got a yakima roof rack for utility and looks purposes.

Engine build is progressing slowly but surely. Did more measurements and math.

replaced my sticky throttle cable and re-bent the original stop tab in the footwell. Throttle feels very nice now

Since my interior was rough, I began to watch youtube videos for upholstery DIYs. I had a spare sport seat sitting around and figured id give it a shot. Worst case I own a sewing machine, best case I save lots of money. I disassembled the seat and made patterns from the existing leather. I used some cheap vinyl from hobby lobby to practice with. For my first try at this stuff I'm really pleased! Its by no means perfect - there are a lot of little flaws - but overall I am thrilled with the results.

I also got a chance to do some work on my dad and I's project car - a 1966 Mercedes 230S. installed an electric fuel pump ( diaphragm on the original one got eaten by the ethanol fuel) and played with the carbs. Its a little tough to start, but once she is going she runs like a top!

Last edited by sert57; 08-11-2017, 07:04 AM. Reason: updated photo links

Comment

good work man!
        Paynemw
        1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
        the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
        1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Ive done some things! I don't expect them to fit everyones taste, but I am very proud of them. Since I bought the car I have always thought plaid interiors were cool - ala 70's Porsche tartan.

As seen in the previous post, the black vinyl seat turned out pretty well. I ended up buying a hide of camel leather and burberry - tartan fabric.I used the pattern for the front seats and got new seat shocks as well ( thanks Jeff!). I went on to the rear using the same disassembly / pattern making method and was pleased with how those came out as well! I then did some a shift boot and an ebrake handle cover/ shift boot as well.

I then used some SEM camel color coat to match the rear seatbacks and door cards, but it wasn't enough. I used some upholstery tack strips to cover the door cards in some of the remaining fabric I had. Needless to say, I am extremely pleased with the results, enjoy!

Now to finish my 2.9L - my goal is have it running by september

Last edited by sert57; 08-11-2017, 07:07 AM. Reason: updated photo links

Comment

Wow that is really impressive! And you have never done any upholstery work in the past?
            1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
            COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

craftsmanship is great. not my taste, but damn that's some great work
              '87 Vert, Black, 5-sp
              '15 Civic Si, White - Daily commuter
              '15 MB C300 Sport, White/Cranberry - Wife's

Comment

Damn!! Interior looks fantastic!!
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

dude!! nice work on your car. Love every detail about it!
                  -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                  91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                  08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                  04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                  Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                  Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

haha yeah that black vinyl seat was my first go around at anything like this. I had a sport seat with worn but intact leather I made patterns from and did the same for the rears. I'm incredibly pleased to say the least. It was about $900 in materials which I figured was the cost of an ebay vinyl kit f+r, (much more work though haha) and mine included the door cards too!

To be fair... There are other sections of stitching that arent as pretty as the one shown and a few things that aren't "perfect".Overall I think it is at or a little above a generic kit you could order online in terms of overall quality ( ignoring materials). There are lots of small things I learned doing this one that I would use if i were to do another one ( twin needles for French seams, aligning patterns better for headrest, increase height of my ebrake boot, I could go on a while about these tiny details )

Still super proud of it though.

Comment

Wow that work is impressive!! Nice to see another E30 in the Atlanta area!

Comment

Drooolllllllll

Comment

That interior is really nice. I am not an avid E30 guy, but I love that you did something unique!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That interior is super gorgeous, good job! DIY or shop?

Comment

I gotta update the rest of the photos soon, screw photobucket.

Aaaanyways, 2.9L is in! ( been for about a week or two). I've been sorting small things out since then, and also installed a ZHP rack which I really like.

Ran into a few issues with the fuel pump and fuel injectors. my ford ones weren't functioning so i have some pink tops on the way that should work, running oe injectors in the meantime.

Out with the old, in with the new!
                              Cleaned the engine bay while i was in there

For my first time building an engine and removing / installing one it went really well! definitely a few little hiccups here and there but overall a smooth execution. Cant wait to get more pictures up of the engine.

Exhaust is IE headers to a custom midsection with magnaflow resonator to oe catback. the volume sounds "stock" but i love the tone - it sounds like a lovely little smooth straight six, ill try to get a video up. I chose this because i want it to have a nice tone, but still daily it and drive it on the highway 4+ hours sometimes, so I didn't want it to be much louder than stock if any.
                              Last edited by sert57; 08-11-2017, 07:08 AM.

Comment

First - just updated all the picture links, screw photobucket....
                                Second - It lives! Isn't it pretty.....

Still sorting out an issue with a hesitation above 5k rpm at anything above half throttle. it seems to be getting better each time, I'm suspicious of the AFM since it has never flowed as much air before, but we will see.

Car running ( open headers, prior to exhaust work)

I then had a custom midsection made - flanges to bolt up to IE headers and oe catback, with magnaflow dual in / dual out reonator and an O2 bung in the middle. the volume is stock but the tone is a nice classical straight 6, just what i was shooting for. more vids to come. video attempts to show the hesitation i am getting between 5-7k but it is hard to see.

Now to continue breaking in the engine and figure out the last remaining issues with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X