No announcement yet.

'88 325i build - plaid and an ITB 2.9L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice job. Looks like you're taking very good care of the car, keep at it!

Comment

this is coming along very nicely... good job! keep it up!!!

-chris

Early 323i
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=214425
      320i V8 Swap
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=345807
      M3
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=310470

Comment

Thanks! Its fun to look back where it was and where it is now. Not that I'm going to get to it anytime soon, but Ive been doing some research on springs and shocks for the car. I want to maintain the ride height as close to stock as possible .I'm weird, I know. I've been studying suspension stuff in general and have realized how much you change things when you lower a car, also I enjoy being able to crawl up under it when needed. I am also looking to modernize it in general and to make it slightly stiffer for autocrosses, as it currently is a bit barge like, however maintain a good spring rate for a daily driver since that is what the car is . Does anyone have suggestions? I have looked at Bilstien HD shocks and H&r OE springs ( highest ride height, only drops it 1", however mixed reviews in general from r3v it seems in regards to increased stiffness) , Bilstien sport and H&R sports ( general consensus for a decent spring and shock combo, but looks like 1.25" drop which is a little low, but doable if the other qualifications are met), and I also have considered GC coilovers and maxing out the height ( it seems everyone loves these, but maybe not for the reasons I'm looking for). These are the 3 main options that I have narrowed down to. Thoughts and any other suggestions are welcome. I wont be replacing this for anytime in the foreseeable future, but am curious what you think and also what your personal experience has shown with the options.
        Thanks!

Comment

Billy and H&R sports are the best combo for a DD if you don't want very low or a hard ride. The reason people get coilovers is mainly for the adjustability factor, and the fact of how low they'll let you go. I would also look at Vogtland, Tokico, and LowTec (there's more, I just don't remember off the top of my head)
          Originally posted by flyboyx
          how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
          Originally posted by Northern
          beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
          Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
          Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
          '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
          Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Wow that paint cleaned up! A lot of people do go with GC's to remove wheel gap, and of course the adjustability factor. Your probably right about them not being for you if you like a higher ride height.

If you where going to replace your shocks yourself, I'd highly suggest installing lowering springs (such as the H&R's you brought up) not just for better handling, but the spring is shorter and makes it a TON easier installing new shocks. Most likely wont need a spring compressor (at least I haven't on the last 3 e30's I've done) which means its a lot safer, and generally easier.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
            1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
            1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
            1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
            1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
            1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
            Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
            1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
            1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

OP, you WILL need a spring compressor to pull of the OEM springs, don't misinterpret his ^ statement. If you do not that spring will shoot the spring hat 15 feet away and it won't be pretty. I used a compressor and it still sprang a bit and tossed the hat off the table.
              Originally posted by flyboyx
              how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
              Originally posted by Northern
              beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
              Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
              Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
              '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
              Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

UPDATE TIME!
                SO this summer I was able to take advantage of Koni's sale, and I was also able to pick up some h&r sport 29664 springs from another r3v member. Installed new control arms and bushings as well. needless to say the car sits a little lower now but rides so much better. I am seriously happy with this spring and shock combo. It is stiff but not uncomfortable by any means, you feel the bumps and the cracks but they do not hurt at all, its just an incredibly communicative setup. anyway, onto pics!

I also got around to painting my valve cover and intake manifold! I used VHT wrinkle black engine paint, then sanded down the lines and logos and clear coted the bare aluminum. Also painted my black window trim seen above ( duplicolor trim paint), as it was just time to refresh it.
                Before (Sadly the only before pic I have):

After :

I am extremely pleased with the results, and was sure to replace the needed gaskets and o-rings when removing my intake manifold. It has been neat for me to look back to a year ago at the car when I got it and see hte transformation.
                1 year ago:

So next on the car? I'm not entirely sure, been contemplating many things. Thinking about getting an adjustable rear subframe to fix camber and toe, as well as some IE camber plates for the front ( they make a kind that works with OE strut mounts I am interested in) I'm Curious if anyone has experience with chips for the b25? I'm looking into sssquid, markd, and turner. I have heard a lot of mixed things and also whether or not it is really worth it. I believe thats it for this update.
                Last edited by sert57; 08-10-2017, 09:42 AM. Reason: updated photo links

Comment

Well since things have happened with the car i suppose it is finally time to update the thread! Oh man where to start....

Yes that is exactly what it looks like, my trunk was actually able to close as well! I still dont get all the hype about 24v e30's though, it just seemed to slow mine down. I will remember this as hte time i had the 5.0L 12 cylinder E30. fun times. Anyways, what are my plans with such a large thing you may ask? Here's a hint!

Current plans with the motor are to build it to a mild 2.8. I have not built an engine before so I am excited for all i will learn. I am thankful that my father has done this before in his 66' mercedes, so its not just one idiot going at it. Basic plan: Balance and blueprint it, hone it, refresh everything, use a 27X cam ( still deciding exactly which one) and potentially some I.E. headers.

Why am I doing this over a swap? Well my reasons could be different from yours, after all everything in a car is a massive comprimise, wo here is where I have made mine:
                  1) Looks oem, designed to be worked on in the engine bay, realoem still works
                  2) No weird tranny / driveshaft issues to work with, i dont have to "re-engineer" as much
                  3) I want to learn to build an engine
                  4) I appreciate the rawness and relative simplicity that is my OHC M20

point being I thought this out a little bit and for what I'm doing it seemed like the best option. Next post with more info soon to come (today?)!
                  Last edited by sert57; 08-10-2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I thought I heard you mention a stroker build back at the autocross. I love seeing your car in the parking lot. If you're going to sell your b25, you may have a close-by buyer ;) Can't wait to see the results! Good luck! BTW the new wheels are sexy
                    Last edited by jdance30; 04-05-2016, 11:11 AM.
                    1986 325e Pearl White on Grey Houndstooth 24x,xxx miles M30b35 Swapped
                    2002 525i Jet Black on Sand Beige 13x,xxx miles
                    "This 2.5 liter inline six cylinder is smoother than my silk Versace underwear." -Vehicle Virgins

Comment

Alright next stuff!
                      I installed a little volt-meter in my check panel. It reads battery voltage and is wired to only turn on with the backlight of the check panel, so it comes on when I hit the check button. I am very pleased with how it turned out.

In late 2015, the e32 my family has got some new wheels, 16" style 5's.

Since the 7 series looked so much better with +1 basketweaves, i decided to follow suit. I was able to pick up these 15x6 BBS RAs off of craigslist for a pretty good deal.

Anyways, with these new wheels (which have MUCH better tire selection than my 14's) I decided i no longer wanted to eat through my back tires. I picked up an extra rear subframe and have begun refreshing it and installing the garagistic camber and toe kits.

This is still a work in progress but I hope to have it in the car by mid 2016.

I then got my new wheels mounted on my car, with 205/50 R 15 Direzza Dz102s ( Whoop Whoop!)

Visually I am very pleased with the new wheels and tires. In my opinion they look better in real life than in the pictures, maybe this is because of the convex design? Ride wise I have been pleased with the Direzzas. I can certainly feel a lot more of the little pebbles in the road. Grip in the wet seems to be comparable to my falken all seasons, maybe a little worse. I have yet to be able to really push them in the dry but it seems promising so far.

As far as the stroker goes, that is more of a long term project, I'm expecting it to be in the car in 3-5 years. I want to make sure that it is done correctly and am taking my time with it.

Thats all for now folks!
                      Last edited by sert57; 08-10-2017, 09:48 AM. Reason: updated photo links

Comment

Very nice build! Great job cleaning it up with tasteful modifications. The RA's look a lot better than i thought they would. Leagues better than bottlecaps. Maybe some 20mm spacers would really set it off ;)
                        '91 "318is" slick top M50 turbo
                        '97 Dodge 3500 12v Cummins
                        '12 Mini Cooper S
                        '89 318i Chump Car Project

Comment

I love it! Just a straight, clean, 4 door e30....no spoiler, nice contrasting pinstripe....those wheels! It's a fantastic looking car man!
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Like it as well. Nice way to keep it rolling

Comment

Nice work! Now you need to clean those exhaust mani's up :nice:

Digging the gold pinstripe, great touch.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Thanks so much! I am quite pleased with it visually. It always amazes me how much some wheels can change the appearance of the vehicle. As far as the exhaust goes, I believe it is the factory equipment at the moment and I plan on replacing the muffler with something (catback or custom exhaust) in the next year or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X