No announcement yet.

How should an M20 idle anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the intake itself really makes a whiney kind of sound.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

My m20 idles perfectly steady at times, but other times it will jump around.

I'd say 98% of the time when i put the car in neutral and roll to a stop, it bounces between 400-1100. Sometimes it'll settle down and sometimes it will continue to jump up and down while stopped. What could be causing this? Some days i start her up and she idles right at 650-750 the entire time (gave a range of RPMs assuming the needle may be off a little bit). I also notice that when i push the gas initially, the RPMs tend to drop before they go up. Not sure what's going on with it, but it's driving me nuts! Any ideas what could be wrong?
      sigpic

Comment

Vacuum leaks =) Smoke the car and watch for leaks. Especially around the throttle body and ICV. Or just do a search on r3v: "idle", "vacuum leak", ... Has been covered extensively. Find the post by jlevie - he wrote down the whole troubleshooting procedure in one giant post.

Comment

Originally posted by crappycoco View Post
          Vacuum leaks =) Smoke the car and watch for leaks. Especially around the throttle body and ICV. Or just do a search on r3v: "idle", "vacuum leak", ... Has been covered extensively. Find the post by jlevie - he wrote down the whole troubleshooting procedure in one giant post.
          Awesome thanks!
          sigpic

Comment

If you let off the brakes after coming to a stop, does the idle normalize? Is it only jumping while holding the brakes down?
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
              If you let off the brakes after coming to a stop, does the idle normalize? Is it only jumping while holding the brakes down?
              The brake doesn't seem to affect it at all. It's really weird. This morning the idle was completely normal again. The ONLY time the RPMs jumped was when coming to a stop. Once i throw the car in neutral, it drops down to around 400ish RPMs, bounces up to 1100ish RPMs and just keeps doing that. From time to time it'll stop and idle smooth (as smooth as a m20 gets lol) but other times it'll continue the bouncing at idle.
              sigpic

Comment

If you're sitting at idle and you put the clutch in does that change anything?

Does it only jump around with the clutch out and not in gear? Could you replicate the same behavior at speed by putting it in neutral and releasing the clutch? Or does it only happen when you're not moving and at idle?
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  If you're sitting at idle and you put the clutch in does that change anything?

Does it only jump around with the clutch out and not in gear? Could you replicate the same behavior at speed by putting it in neutral and releasing the clutch? Or does it only happen when you're not moving and at idle?
                  At idle if i push the clutch in, it won't replicate the problem. It's only when I throw it in neutral to "coast" or come to a stop.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
                    I think the intake itself really makes a whiney kind of sound.

Yeah, my girlfriend does that too. Just tell the intake to shut up and give it a slap on the butt for good measure.
                    88 325i Cabrio
                    04 Neon SRT-4

Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                    If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

Comment

Originally posted by supermansocks95 View Post
                      Yeah, my girlfriend does that too. Just tell the intake to shut up and give it a slap on the butt for good measure.
                      sigpic

Comment

Hahahahaha

(OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by Eskie View Post
                          The only thing that drive me nuts is the slight drop and bog if the throttle is snapped off of idle.
                          Actually, that bog/drop is due to the airflow censor flap (on top of the air box) opening and closing. It's especially noticeable if you bob the throttle repeatedly while under the hood, the car will almost stall. The only way to get rid of it is to do a MAF conversion.
                          I wash BMWs all day at a dealership. Do you have any idea how much i8's suck to do anything but look at?

Comment

Originally posted by redfoxiii View Post
                            Actually, that bog/drop is due to the airflow censor flap (on top of the air box) opening and closing. It's especially noticeable if you bob the throttle repeatedly while under the hood, the car will almost stall. The only way to get rid of it is to do a MAF conversion.
                            Wow! I always thought it was because my car is a piece or that the ECU or AFM was on its way out... Good to know!

(OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

This thread has been far more helpful then I would have thought. Especially for a bunch of people typing out sounds haha
                              1985 325e Sedan, 1986 325e Sedan, 2006 BMW X5, 2012 M3 Sedan, 2013 135is, 2017 M3 Sedan ZCP Competition

Comment

Ha ! Wait till you marry her....all wives upgrade to forced air and a Magnaflow :(

Comment

Working...
                                X