Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo M50 Vert Build Thread

Hey R3v'ers,
    This will be my first e30 build thread and I plan to take you guys along for every step of the way. Hopefully all of this is within forum rules with my pictues sizes and whatnot. I'll get to editing them if needed. First, a little background on myself. I'm an 18 year old(at the time of posting) from just outside Cleveland, OH. I've been a R3v lurker for quite some time and a member for a short while now. This is my second e30, my first being a 91 325ix which I sold a few months ago to move into an e92 and guess what, I'm back. I could go further into detail about myself, but after all, the thread isn't about me. This is the beauty that my girlfriend and I drove 3 hours to pickup near Pittsburgh, PA. She hasn't been named yet.

This is my lastest project, a 91 318ic.

UPDATED LIST
    Mods:

-M50nv swap (fresh seals, gaskets, decked head, etc)
    -MLS headgasket .140
    -ARP headstuds
    -Getrag 260
    -Condor motor mounts, tranny mounts, and tranny brace
    -Spec stage 3 clutch & lightened flywheel
    -Vibrant resonator and muffler
    -Ground Control Coilovers
    -Skid Plate
    -Momo Steering wheel
    -Z3 Short Shifter
    -UUC DSSR
    -Stainless steel brake lines
    -2.93LSD

Build Parts:

Engine Management: MS3x
    Wideband/O2 Gauge: AEM
    Boost Gauge: VDO
    Oil Pressure Gauge: VDO
    Turbo: Holset HX35 56mm
    Downpipe: Oddball Industries (Custom)
    Manifold: Jake B
    Intercooler: CX Racing (Ebay)
    Intercooler Piping: CX Racing (Ebay)
    Injectors: Deka 60lb/hr (630cc)
    Wastegate: ON3 Performance 44mm
    BOV: NGR
    Fuel Pump: Walboro 255

Pictures:

I have already started to collect some turbo parts (as you can see) and the car should be coming together soon, hence my starting of the thread. If you have any M50 turbo parts you're looking to sell you can find my wanted thread "WTB: Turbo M50 Goodies", but act fast since I'm starting to order parts. Also, here's some pictures of what I've been working on the past week.

Rust repair and recoating the rocker panels and fixing some door jamb rust was the biggest job this week, aside from the stainless steel brake lines (sorry, no pics of that)

Started with these issues:

Went through the long and painful rust repair process. Sanding and wire wheel, rust mortifier, bondo, and finish. The door jamb came out just alright(probably because of my shitty bondo job there) but being the door jamb, it wasn't the most important to me as long as the rust was gone. I did a bit more sanding, just don't have pictures of the final result before the final coat. If anyones going to do this, I highly recommend Rustoleum truck bed liner. Took me one can to do 2 thick coats on the sides and rear of the car, if you want more, you'll need a second can. It dries quickly with nice results. $6.50 per can at Walmart.
    Heres the process:

And the results:

I'm really happy with how it turned out, and can take some more pictures from wider angles if anyone is interested. I'll be updating the thread as parts come in and go on the car. My power goals are around 250-300whp when I first get it running and 400 all said and done. I dont plan to run ARP studs or an MLS gasket initially since those parts were just replaced with new OE parts. Once its running I'll just turn up the boost until the gasket goes, and then drop in ARPs and an MLS gasket. If you guys have any suggestions or comments I'd really appreciate any input!

Thanks,
    -NEO
    Last edited by NEOe30; 02-24-2018, 09:43 AM.

The truck bed liner stuff looks really good, I'll have to try it on my car.

Have you looked into tuning options for the M50NV..?
    Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Nice! That is the same color combo as mine.

How is your upholstery?
      1991 318iC
      1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
        The truck bed liner stuff looks really good, I'll have to try it on my car.

Have you looked into tuning options for the M50NV..?
        Yeah it turned out great. Couldn't be happier with the results. I just ordered an ECU for the build. I'll be using a DET3 piggyback. Not many people are familiar with the platform here on R3v, but I used one on a 1JZ and am comfortable with the software.

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
          Nice! That is the same color combo as mine.

How is your upholstery?
          Upholstry is worn in a few spots. Drivers seat left bolster and a spot or two in the rear are the worst. I would like to put in new seats eventually if the budget allows (fingers crossed)

Comment

Rear Speaker Panel Refresh and Skid Plate Installed

Speaking of wearing upholstry, the fabric pieces which cover the rear speaker panels were beginning to peel/tear, so I did something about it. Here's the better of the two panels before and after I pulled the fabric off.
            Im really not sure if this yellow glue residue was factory or an attempted repair by a PO, but the fabric pulled right off with almost no fight. After removal, I sanded the residue off and put on some satin black vinyl wrap. I don't have the name or specific color name of the stuff since a buddy gave it to me, sorry. Here's how it looked after I wrapped it, and installed.I think it looks much better, I will try to get some more pictures in the light eventually if anyone else is interested in this.

Also this morning I installed the red46 skid plate and would recommend it to anyone looking for a skid plate. Good price too. I coated it in a cheap black spray to help prevent corrosion before mounting it up. Heres a picture of my current ground clearance relative to the can I used. About 2"-2.5" but I'm probably going to move it up another .5"-1.0" since the skid plate subtracts from ground clearance. In other good news, I've just ordered an ECU, Manifold, and Intercooler kit which should arrive some time next week. The 60lbs/hr injectors and 56mm turbo are waiting patiently on the shelf. Can't wait to get the build going and hope you guys are enjoying the thread.

Last edited by NEOe30; 11-08-2017, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Wow, that's a good looking drop top. The wheels really set it off.

Any plans to get an x-brace to stiffen the chassis? They are a little pricey but make a big difference on verts.
              1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
                Wow, that's a good looking drop top. The wheels really set it off.

Any plans to get an x-brace to stiffen the chassis? They are a little pricey but make a big difference on verts.
                Thanks! I love the color combo myself. I had thought about it, I'm pretty happy with the coilover setup at the moment. Ever driven a vert with and without one installed? The PO didn't put in an IX brake booster with the swap, so I will probably get to upgrading that and other brake parts before I mess with anything else non-motor related. Brakes will be a big concern once the turbo goes on, but I definitely planned on some more suspension upgrades. I also have some stiffer control arm bushings that need to go on.

Comment

You caught me... I haven't actually driven one with an X-brace before. I plan on getting one for my fixed roof car eventually, should make a difference there too. My recommendation was based on all the impressions I've read of people who have gotten them being positive. I can feel a little chassis flex even with my car... trying to reduce that.

Comment

How do you like the shift setup? Condor weighted knob + Z3 1.9 shift lever seems like it would be a good combo. I'm looking to go for a similar setup, not sure how I would like the tall shift handle though.

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
                      How do you like the shift setup? Condor weighted knob + Z3 1.9 shift lever seems like it would be a good combo. I'm looking to go for a similar setup, not sure how I would like the tall shift handle though.
                      I wasn't testing you on the X-brace hah, just curious. I have read good things as well. As for the shifter setup, I love it. I haven't put too many hard miles on the car but it's a nice throw. The taller handle/slightly longer throw isn't too noticeable compared to other cars I've driven.

Comment

Turbo Parts

Build Update:
                        Just got my Jake B manifold in the mail and picked up an AEM wideband yesterday. Cant wait to start test fitting things in the engine bay. The intercooler setup should be arriving this weekend and I also ordered a slim fan to setup. Here's some pics of the manifold/turbo and my new gauge along with a bonus shot in the Chipotle parking lot right after I detailed her. I'll post more pics when new parts come in and I test fit them.

Last edited by NEOe30; 11-11-2017, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Another Build Update: Intercooler!

So the past few days I've been hard at work mocking up the turbo/manifold and getting the intercooler set up as well. I'm currently waiting on the fan setup to arrive (hopefully Monday) to install and then put the front end back together. Here's what I've been working on this week. Look at how close the clearance on the turbo is! I will definitley have to lay down some heat tape and get a turbo blanket as well since theres only about an inch of clearance when the hood is shut. My VDO boost gauge also came in, so just waiting on the gauge pod so that I can get that and my wideband in place. Seeing it all start to come together is really getting me excited, hope you guys are enjoying it too.

Last edited by NEOe30; 11-08-2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Fan and Intercooler Installed!

This weekend I went through the tedious process of installing the bumper, removing, grinding away, and repeat. Finally I got the massive thing tucked behind the front bumper, plus a 16" fan. I had to modify the top radiator mounting bracket, but I probably only lost a half inch. I also had to grind some of the brake cooling ducts so if they work at all anymore its not by much :( Anyways, here's some pics plus a bonus from asking my girlfriend to prom at last Monday's meet. All those cars are close to stock except for the mazdaspeed. He's running about 600hp on a Precision 6466 :devil:

Last edited by NEOe30; 11-08-2017, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Onother ohio cabrio ! Very nice!
                              89 325 cabrio in progress m52tub28 swap
                              99 540it
                              86 Volvo 240 wagon
                              99 Cherokee
                              13 Passat

Comment

Working...
                              X