X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved - Fuel Pump - No Fuel when cranking, Help?! 1989 325is

Story:
    New:

I jumped the relay the fuel pump relay and the car runs. I hooked my listening device up to listen to the fuel injectors and they are clicking. fuel pump is pumping but there is no gas coming our of the return line so that concerns me.

I reconnected everything and unhooked the fuel pump's power and hoooked up a tester light and the light came on when cranking. so the relay is good.

so im at a loss. im not sure if my fuel pump is going bad or if my fuel pressure regulator is bad

or if there isnt enough power getting to the fuel pump

I dont know why when i jump the fuel pump relay it works and when the relay is in doesnt seem to be getting enough power.

Im going to buy another pump and let everyone know

Old:
    About a week ago I was driving my 89 IS and I got a check engine light and a weird idle. Then I shut the car off thinking it was over heating (It wasn't), started it back up again and it was fine. Then 10 mins later I get where I'm going and I shut it off. I then return to my car and it wont start.

Fast forward to now, I change the CPS and checked the ohms on both the old one and the new one. (the new one was within 560-590 Ohms). I checked the fuel pump relay, relay clicked at 12V, and I still put in another relay that I had laying around in its place. I jumped the pins in the fuel relay to check if it was the pump and it started to pump no prob. It ran when the relay is jumped but when the relay was normal it didn't pump when cranking.

I'm at a loss here, but I haven't checked the ohms at the ecu (very last option, I hope I don't need to do that)

What else can it be!??
    Last edited by KillaCam; 06-24-2017, 05:27 PM.
    Originally posted by E30_(1st Musk)_
    HONDA IS WHERE EVERY TREND DIES! .

24v swap Oil Pan..F/S

Pull the electrical connector at the fuel pump and test with a multi meter when cranking.
    I had a similar issue when my fuel pump was dying. I could jump 12 volts to the fuel pump and it would run but when the power was coming through the wiring harness it wouldn't. Finally it died all together. I'd also check to see that your fuel sender unit is working correctly. I ran out of gas once and the gauge red 1/3 left in the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlem View Post
      Pull the electrical connector at the fuel pump and test with a multi meter when cranking.
      I had a similar issue when my fuel pump was dying. I could jump 12 volts to the fuel pump and it would run but when the power was coming through the wiring harness it wouldn't. Finally it died all together. I'd also check to see that your fuel sender unit is working correctly. I ran out of gas once and the gauge red 1/3 left in the tank.
      I have a slight suspicion that the pump is dying as it is a el-cheapo pump but Ill try that, to see what im getting at the pump.

as per running out of gas, I just put ~$20 in the tank

24v swap Oil Pan..F/S

Comment

If the pump runs when you jumper the relay socket, the wiring & fuse are good. A bad CPS, bad DME, or bad engine harness could cause what you are seeing.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          If the pump runs when you jumper the relay socket, the wiring & fuse are good. A bad CPS, bad DME, or bad engine harness could cause what you are seeing.
          the only fuse that would cause the pump not to work would be 11 right (i think its 11)

i also swapped in a different ecu and still no worky worky

i think the cps was DOA :hitler:

24v swap Oil Pan..F/S

Comment

up,

CPS is good, im thinking fuel pump is weak

24v swap Oil Pan..F/S

Comment