Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo m20 spark blowout

Aloha everyone,
    so I been chasing this ignition problem for months. my turbo m20(2.7 with I head) is wasted spark setup with DIYauto quadspark and 6 tower coil pack.when I hit approxmently 10psi the spark will blow out. we already attempted tuning, the blowout stopped us from continuing tuning. I tried multiple spark plugs with gaps from 0.030 - 0.020.no difference. heat range is 7. oh my ecu is the mspnp2 1.3v.

have anyone come across this issue? or what type of wasted spark set up to you have??

Mahalo,
    Mark!

You running 100% TPS or MAP..? Have you adjusted the accel enrichment?
    Might not be spark blow out and just a setting adjustment. Start with the accel enrichment first.
    Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

It Is currently set for TPS base. The TPS dot uses %WOT : ON. Wall-wetting AE (EAE): OFF

Comment

Your dwell is too high. Reduce it so the coils can recharge in time.
        '89 335is +turbo

Comment

I already brought my dwell time down to 2.0ms, vehicle runs waaay worst. tried adjusting my accel enrich. table. got better but still stutters. any other things to check??

Comment

What kind of coil pack is it? The IGN-6? You're going to want to run plugs with a gap on the smaller side, like ~0.022". What is your AFR before and during the misfiring? What is the voltage megasquirt is reporting? a log would be helpful
            Last edited by varg; 05-11-2016, 12:25 PM.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 3-17

Comment

With the stock coil and ngk bpr7es plugs they would blow out at stock gap at 5psi and with reduced gap around 12-15psi, but I was out of fuel and clutch by then so didn't worry about it. 2.5-3.0 dwell and around a 0.025-.022 gap

At some point I turned the dwell down because it was arcing through the plugs instead of the gap... even a single coil is very strong but it cant keep up as good as a wasted spark at high rpm.

2.0 dwell sounds low. That plus a stock .32 gap could easily get you some blowout.

Comment

Having similar issues with a similar setup.

I am on E85, BPR7s, 0.020 gap, currently getting spark blowout around 15psi and up.
                My dwell is set to 2.5 and tried 3.0 with not much of a change.

Any suggestions? OP did you find a solution?
                - AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build
                Current Project - 87 325is 2JZ Swapped with M4 DCT

Comment

Wasted spark is what I had to do for 14 and up.

Comment

If you have the stock eta pistons, you might not have enough spark, they like more than a b25 as they are less efficient, and actually make less power. Potential power extra stroke would gain is negated by the mis-match piston and head chamber designs.

I have put more than 14psi on a stock coil with bpr7es gapped to .025" with a Turbonetics Super 60, flat pistons, 885 head without blow out - actually ran out of injector first using 42lb.

People tend to pull too much timing to be safe, but that puts too much heat in the turbine and acts very similar to blow out. Starting with a stock table, pull 1-2 degrees per psig, maybe 3-4 to be extra safe, and make sure when following your map vertically, there's not a huge pull in timing, it should be a fairly smooth map when viewing 3d.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                    X