Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird problems after head unit install, am at wits end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotcha, Yes I tested with a multi meter befor I even came across the how-to.

Yes I have tried RCA's outside of the car.
    Originally posted by jbd99eride View Post
    Connected new RCA's from the trunk , outside the car , in the drivers side to the head. NO NOISE AT ALL. yay
    Which is the only reason I pulled the Focal cables and ran different ones last night. I really thought I was home free. But not out of the woods yet.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
      Pretty obvious to me, that deck is known to be a turd. Try another deck, I bet all the issues go away.
      I was thinking of trying a different deck, but I really do want/use all the tuning features it has. The only other one I have is an older 880prs which I know has known issues that have been discussed on other boards, I have not experienced them though. Isn't the 80prs a little too new to aalready be considere a turd? Or are you possibly thinking of the 800prs? Just curious. I know PIo has gotten a bbad rap over the years but I've never had any issues with them in several cars over the years.

There was a small box attached to the factory amp that stayed in the car when I removed the amp, does that have to do with the brake circuit, or the brake check function? wondering if that could be causing interference in the rca's since they are bundled essentially right next to it.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by jbd99eride View Post
        I was thinking of trying a different deck, but I really do want/use all the tuning features it has. The only other one I have is an older 880prs which I know has known issues that have been discussed on other boards, I have not experienced them though. Isn't the 80prs a little too new to aalready be considere a turd? Or are you possibly thinking of the 800prs? Just curious. I know PIo has gotten a bbad rap over the years but I've never had any issues with them in several cars over the years.

There was a small box attached to the factory amp that stayed in the car when I removed the amp, does that have to do with the brake circuit, or the brake check function? wondering if that could be causing interference in the rca's since they are bundled essentially right next to it.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate it.
        Yes, that is the brake check diode pack, a complete necessity and has not caused noise in any form on any of the 60 or so E30s I have installed systems in over the last 3 or 4 years, and I can't remember ever having brake pop except on bad decks...like my beloved Denon, rotting on a shelf.

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Well I installed a different pioneer (which works perfectly in another car of mine), with no change at all.

I re ran the RCA down the center console area and straight through a hole under the ski pass and the pop was less noticable ( had to put my ear to the tweeter to really hear it) and the alt whine was less also.

I decided to reinstall the speaker level to line level converter that was part of the PO's install and that made everything worse. The alternator whine was exceptionally loud.

I really thought that may have done the trick, I could live with that being in line. I really am at a complete loss here. I have swapped every part of this system except running all new speaker wires, which I seriouly doubt is the issue.

The only thing I have not done is power all the speakers directly throu the factory speker wires via the head units amp, I am not expecting an improvement, nor is that a solution I will be happy with.

I also don't believe changing to a different brand headunit will magicly fix things either.

I have about 40 + hours of troubleshooting in and feel like I have absolutely gotten nowhere. Maybe I am destined to have a tape deck in this car perminantly....

There has got to be some simple stupid thing I am overlooking here.
          Last edited by jbd99eride; 08-12-2012, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
            Yes, that is the brake check diode pack, a complete necessity and has not caused noise in any form on any of the 60 or so E30s I have installed systems in over the last 3 or 4 years, and I can't remember ever having brake pop except on bad decks...like my beloved Denon, rotting on a shelf.

Yeah I know its needed, was just throwing it out there. I'd be upset if I had a denon on a shelf, for sure.

On a side note, I read in another post you/your shop, may be going out of business?? Coming from an old small family run hifi shop, I am deeply saddened to hear this. We have seen several local shops go out recently and it really is awful. I truely wish you the best of luck.

-Justin

Comment

Back from the dead...

I know this is very old...Any update on this issue...just curious after reading the whole thread.
              sigpic
              Rediculously Cool!

www.squatchboxx.com

Instagram @squatchboxxcoolers

Comment

Working...
              X