Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30. M60. California Smog Legal / BAR'd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the late response!

Originally posted by WYZEUP View Post
    Have you got any pics of how you ran your coolant pipes using that rear accumulator pipe as i may go that way to make my swap easier and give me more clearance

Here are some pics I found from the install:

The line running left is to the coolant tank. which is mounted on the battery tray.

Now the Headers...

These aren't the best pictures but, they give the general idea. I snapped them real quick when we were doing the m60b44 swap.

Originally posted by ogslick View Post
    So just to confirm. The only thing you left stock on your exhaust was the flanges?

The referee was ok with using all new exhaust piping?
    Did you need to follow any guidelines like runner length and size, collector and cat location etc..?
    Does it look close to the stock header design?

What can make the headers fail inspection?

Thanks for the info I'm in San Jose doing a s62 swap, trying to figure if i should custom fabricate or cut/bend/rotate my stock headers.

We left as much stock as we could. You can see in the photos where we cut them.

From experience of barring a few cars now. it is TOTALLY up to the ref's opinion! So find a cool ref.

The only guidelines we can give is make it look as stock as possible!!! the ref that bar'd this said something along the lines of, "I see what you did here, and it looks to follow stock as closely as possible."
    That being said, you guys might not have the same luck. I have heard that it is getting harder and harder to pass even with 24v cars.

What can make the headers fail inspection?

The ref having a bad day!

The s62 is a whole different animal with the obd2 stuff you have to worry about for bar. I have read on ls forums where guys had to put in full new gas tanks to get their car passed. Before going down that road I would take a hard look at the chevy e-rod it comes with a Cal legal number and 430hp to begin with ;).
    My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Here is an update on what has been done to the car lately (with a lot of pictures) and shameless plug for another r3v guy's blog.

Check it out here: http://drivewerks.co/different-strok...ame-old-folks/
      My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

We had an LS3 next to a m60 in the garage, I took some photos to show how much bigger the BMW motors are then the LSs

The length of the blocks are about the same but the oil pan on the m60/62 sticks out way to far.

The width of the motors are where the real differences are, We measured from head to head the M60, it came in at 27ish inches, while the LS came in at about 21 inches

These weren't the exact measurements but still interesting to see the motors next to each other.
        My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

Quick update:

The car with m60b44 passed smog!!! After a new set of cats, it passed with flying colors!

Can't believe the car has been on the road for that long...
          My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

Congrats!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
            Transaction feedback
            - jpod999

Comment

Nicely done!

Your photos don't show, can you re-upload or attach them here ?

Specifically interested in seeing your modified m60b40 manifolds :)

Did you TRY to pass with the modified X5 manifolds and they sent you home ? "1 is the visional inspection for all smog legal equipment Which means everything from the MAF to the cat's have to be CA legal for the M60 (you can't run the x5 headers.)" Or are you saying this because technically they aren't legal for the SWAP and you didn't even want to try to go through it?

Thanks and congrats getting it through CA BAR! I've gone through BAR once with my previous SWAP , wasn't too bad but M60 swap is more challenging for sure with manifolds....AND now ECU deal too? I was not aware of this one below -

"2 is you can not have any check codes which includes, The famous Can-Bus code, We got around that with a using Manual DME from a 1995 with EWS. it is a 484 (I think.) Which DUDMD installed a emulator to allow the car to run with out EWS. NO CODES. the car actually seems to run better with this DME. "

Did DUDMD explain under what condition these throw a Can-Bus code? Is it applicable to both 404 and 484 DME or is it specifically when you are using an auto engine harness?

I've been looking at using the same flywheel you did as well btw.
              Last edited by Jean; 07-26-2017, 03:03 PM.
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by 36brua View Post
                Quick update:

The car with m60b44 passed smog!!! After a new set of cats, it passed with flying colors!

Can't believe the car has been on the road for that long...
                I was looking at the Walker cats on eBay recently, can you please post the exact part number of the ones you've used to get through BAR?

Any chances of posting some new pics of the manifolds, exhaust?

Thanks much!

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by 36brua View Post
                  Update on the DME situation:

We tested a stock 404 vs a 404 with DuddMd chip in it last night and the Dudmd definitely runs better than the stock 404, no more rev hang on shifts and a lot less popping.

That being said the manual 484 still runs better IMO. The Duddmd helps though!

We are sending the 484 to Duddmd today to see what happened with the EWS, will let you guys know.

Hey, so what's the latest with this ? Was the issue with 484 failing and EWS coming back ever resolved, what was the fix?

Are you still running 484 or did you revert back to 404?

Thanks!

Comment

We had to revert back to the 404 because sent the 484 back to us after the Emulator failed in the 484 We sent it back to DUDMD then we never got it back and he wouldn't return our calls... Not trying to flame here but that's what happened.

We are using just a stock 404 right now. Squid made us a tune for the m60b44 it ran great but throws a check. We are still working with him to figure that out He been awesome about it. I would check with him if he can do an emulator for you.

Jean, I think I remember reading you have a manual harass is that correct?
                    The only two ways I know our getting rid of the code is using a 484 with an emulator. Or you get an auto harness and wire in auto ecu. We did this to test it and that got rid of the code as well. If I am remembering correctly it was 4 wires two to the dme power and ground it was 3 years ago at this point.
                    My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

Yeah I have 3 fracking harnesses on hands :) One is a manual harness from 540i 6speed, but I only have a black 404 DME out of automatic car :(

I do have an auto harness, so you mean using auto harness AND plugging in auto DME ? That totally sucks about the situation with DUDMD, he seems to have very good feedback on BFC, and everyone recommends him. I've exchanged some messages with him on BFC, and he's pretty much recommending to go with 484 with EWS delete to ensure no codes appear. I am surprised he doesn't have 404 Manual Chip that he could program / flash, w/o his performance tune.

Have you guys tried a manual harness AND manual 404 DME ? That should not trow any code right?

I've been thinking about this more and more, when I had my m30b35 swap through CA BAR I wonder if they scanned the DME then as well? I used a 179 but never even had to do anything special about it...I don't remember if it was from an AUTO or Manual 535 car. I am wondering if this "let's scan the DME / car for any codes" thing is new or what?

My BAR process before was 1. make appointment and they inspect everything and if you they give you a green light, then you go to a smog station and pass the sniffer , IIRC they gave me the sticker and then sent me to get it tested for emissions out of the pipe 2. once the emissions test was done then the process/paperwork got finalized.
                      Last edited by Jean; 10-04-2017, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                        Yeah I have 3 fracking harnesses on hands :) One is a manual harness from 540i 6speed, but I only have a black 404 DME out of automatic car :(

I do have an auto harness, so you mean using auto harness AND plugging in auto DME ? That totally sucks about the situation with DUDMD, he seems to have very good feedback on BFC, and everyone recommends him. I've exchanged some messages with him on BFC, and he's pretty much recommending to go with 484 with EWS delete to ensure no codes appear. I am surprised he doesn't have 404 Manual Chip that he could program / flash, w/o his performance tune.

Have you guys tried a manual harness AND manual 404 DME ? That should not trow any code right?

I've been thinking about this more and more, when I had my m30b35 swap through CA BAR I wonder if they scanned the DME then as well? I used a 179 but never even had to do anything special about it...I don't remember if it was from an AUTO or Manual 535 car. I am wondering if this "let's scan the DME / car for any codes" thing is new or what?

My BAR process before was 1. make appointment and they inspect everything and if you they give you a green light, then you go to a smog station and pass the sniffer , IIRC they gave me the sticker and then sent me to get it tested for emissions out of the pipe 2. once the emissions test was done then the process/paperwork got finalized.

Haha seems about right, all the ones I have are auto harnesses. We have never been able to find a manual harness, they are like gold. Because of this, I can not say for sure but I think 404 auto dme will still throw a code because it is looking for an auto trans signal no matter what harness is plugged into it. I could be wrong though. I know jgood tried a lot to get rid of the code with a 404 and he couldn't either.

I mean use an auto harness and auto dme then plug in the transmission controller of the bar test and then toss auto controller after you pass. All the DME is looking for is a signal from the trans controller.

I would recommend the same as DUDmd you should use a 484. I hope my experience was just a fluke. I think the chip does not control that part of the dme that's why these chips can flush out that code.

It is not a new thing we have bar'd 4 24v cars and this V8 over the last 6 years. they have scanned all of them. They might not scan the m30 because of its an older motor?

It does not matter auto or manual DME for m30 or 24v swaps because those DMEs don't commutate with the trans like the m60's DME does. So they wouldn't throw the code.

Our process was about to be the same. But it was all done at the same place at the same time. During the inspection, they scan the car. And even if you fail the visual they still smog it right there.

We will be going to get another car bar'd in a month or so. We will see if the process has changed.
                        Last edited by 36brua; 10-04-2017, 10:59 AM.
                        My CA legal M60 swap

Comment

Good tip on using the auto harness and plugging in auto controller (I'll have to track this down , what one did you guys use , can you grab a photo or part number ?)

And yeah , what I meant is if we use a manual harness And a manual 404 dme, I don't think there should be any auto trans codes , not manual harness with auto dme .

Comment

Working...
                          X