What coilover spring rates and lengths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What coilover spring rates and lengths?

I am looking at putting coilovers on my m52 swapped car. I want to know what rates to get for the springs and what lengths.

I want to be able to adjust in range of +1 to -1.5 inches. No need for me to ever go lower than that. So what spring length would I need for that? I was thinking 9 inch front and 7 inch rear but I really don't have any experience with coilovers.

On to rates. I was thinking 200 front and 400 rear to keep in line with the h&r sports I have now (which are too low for me) but some research I did said that the car would bottom out the springs in a coilover setup if it was that low of a rate. What rates should I go with? I want stiffer but still can DD the car on my crappy roads in relative comfort.

Thanks in advance.

I order my bc br type ra with 160mm lenght front springs
    10k and the rear with 120mm springs 12k
    After a lot of search for springs lenght and rates a lot of people use those rates
    What type of coilovers you want and what budget you have ?
    The best is ground control
    Value for money is bc
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I am going to make my own coilovers. I pretty much have a whole machine shop at my disposal.

10k is what? 550ish? 12k would then be 650ish?
      That seems quite stiff. How does yours ride on rough roads? I live on a rural dirt road.

6.3 inches and 4.72 inches seems too small to me. Those are the heights people say to use for making the car really low. Which I want to avoid. I want lots of suspension travel. 1.5 inches lower than stock is where I want the absolute bottom of the adjuster to be.

Comment

I have 450lb/in front and 650lb/in rear springs, lengths 6" and 5" respectively. Details in my build thread, but as you can see my car is not low, and has coilovers for handling not looks. 450/650 is not too stiff in my opinion, but it's a very subjective thing, there are plenty of people on this forum who whinge about H&R race springs being too stiff (315lb/in front 570lb/in rear)

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
        X