Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rim suggestions

Hey all,

I just got a 1984 318i and was wondering if any of you had any wheel suggestions to replace the bottlecaps that came on it. I'm mostly interested in older style rims that look like watanabe, bbs, or have a similar old school look. I am obviously asking because I can't afford those actual rims at the moment. I would like to keep weight to at least the same if not lower than it is right now. I'd also like to push the offset as much as I can since I will be widebodying.

Thanks for the help!

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by gordon17074 View Post
      I just got a 1984 318i and was wondering if any of you had any wheel suggestions to replace the bottlecaps that came on it. I'm mostly interested in older style rims that look like watanabe, bbs, or have a similar old school look. I am obviously asking because I can't afford those actual rims at the moment. I would like to keep weight to at least the same if not lower than it is right now. I'd also like to push the offset as much as I can since I will be widebodying.
      Can afford widebodying, but can't afford the wider wheels needed to fill said widebody?

What size and width of wheels are you eventually getting to fill those wider fenders?

Also, why do you need the wheels to be lighter? In the real world, on the street, it makes little difference if the wheels are a few pounds heavier or lighter than stock.

And using spacers to increase the track width hurts handling.

Here are some actual self-verified weights from my wheel collection:

14x6 Bottlecaps weigh 16.5 lbs

14x6½ Basketweave weigh 14.0 lbs

15x7 ET24 Euroweaves weigh 17.5 lbs

15x7½ ET25 Ronal ACT-LS weighs 17.2 lbs
      Randy Walters

2021 Mazda 3 Sedan Premium AWD
      1988 325is (w/89 bumpers, recently sold)
      1989 325is (Broadsided long ago RIP)
      1996 328is (Sold to Matt J)
      2003 530i Sport (Spare car now)
      2005 X3 (little woman's car)
      Driving Instructor BMW CCA L.A. & S.D. Chapters
      Multiple L.A. & S.D. Region SCCA Autocross Championships

Comment

I know body work so that will be my handiwork and therefore not very expensive.

It's not a street car, it's a track car so weight does matter to get the best times.

And the width can be anything within reason to hold the power of a 351 block.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel rim.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	7192518

Much info here....

Comment

Ya I had stumbled upon that thread but it seems to be more directed towards people who have a specific "wheel" in mind, which I do not yet.

Comment

Working...
            X